New bumblebee goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homer8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My petco set up a little brackish tank even though they have it completely wrong because they have a dwarf puffer in with the brackish fish and i think they use aquarium salt. I spent a little more then i wanted to but since they are the only place around i spent the $9 for him and in the picture he is hunting down BBS and seems happy considering hes only been in the tank 2mins.

Attachments

• image-3110309017.jpg
    image-3110309017.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 246
I hope to get more and he adds nice color to the tank. Hes in with a friendly f8, flounder, mudskipper and 2 ghost shrimp.

Homer8 said:
I hope to get more and he adds nice color to the tank. Hes in with a friendly f8, flounder, mudskipper and 2 ghost shrimp.

Flounder..?

aww he's adorable! But 9$ ? Ouch, I paid about 9$ for all four of my bumblebees. I really want to set up a larger brackish tank and just have a bumblebee swarm. I really love the little guys.

aww he's adorable! But 9$ ? Ouch, I paid about 9$ for all four of my bumblebees. I really want to set up a larger brackish tank and just have a bumblebee swarm. I really love the little guys.

i even said something to them. it was labeled as a clown goby (i really hope they didnt mix this up with the marine clown goby i may have to give them a call tomorrow) and i was like is this the price for the bumblebee goby and they said yes. then again they had a borneo sucker(hillstream loach) labled as a flounder and i had to correct them on that, which was in the "brackish" tank along with a dwarf puffer, fig 8, and the 2 bumble bee gobys. i would have gotten the two but not for $18. i really dont see how the borneo sucker is mistaken for a flounder because to me it looks like someone stepped on a pleco.

Flounder..?

its technically not a flounder its a sole which ive never done the research on what makes them different but it cant be much. the pet store i bought it from didnt know the species but said it will get up to 6inches and it is a brackish water fish(i did research on these long before i bought them so it wasnt an impulse buy, i knew as long as i got a full brackish species i could care for it) and will never be marine but all the information out there on freshwater flounder is almost useless.
no one ever knows what species is what and all information is contradicting. there are 100% freshwater flounder but are never seen in the trade. many of the brackish species are only brackish when young. thats what ive learned from my research along with the care of the brackish species but i will never know what species my little guy is because they are almost impossible to identify unless you know where it was caught.

edit:

im actually really pissed off right now because the more i think about it the more i realized i got really ripped off. i know that they are usually $2-$3 but i thought its petco the are over priced on these kind of things and since its the only place around and i really love these little guys i wanted it so i paid the $9. im going to call as soon as they open and complain and maybe they still have the second one that i can snag because they screwed me over

i have also done more research on bumblebee gobies and have learned that there are two types and mine is the more brackish species but is actually not a bumblebee goby it is a golden banded goby. they are very similar in the way they look but with the true bumblebee goby the separation of black and yellow is very sharp where as the golden banded goby the separation is sloppy. my species is Brachygobius nunus(golden banded goby) the other type is Brachygobius xanthozona(true bumblebee goby).

neither of the two gobies below are mine im just showing the difference.

just did some research on the difference and really it isnt much but if your interested here is a link

Differences Between Flounder & Sole | eHow.com

Attachments

• IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 181
  • Brachygobius xanthozona - Bumble Bee Goby.jpg
    Brachygobius xanthozona - Bumble Bee Goby.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 7,219
  • BumbleBeeGoby1.jpg
    BumbleBeeGoby1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 2,414
I think the bumblebee you got is one of the prettiest I've ever seen. So even if they don't make it right with you about the price, you still have a gorgeous fish :)

I think the bumblebee you got is one of the prettiest I've ever seen. So even if they don't make it right with you about the price, you still have a gorgeous fish :)

thank you he looks really nice in person too but it looks like his stomach is a little sunken in. he was loving the BBS i put in for him so i dont think it will be that way for long.

i just made a call to the petco that i bought it from and explained to them what i thought and they said it came in as a clown goby ad they can refund my money but its been less then 24 hours and im too attached to him or her. havent figured out how to sex them yet. just thought id share. im still quite upset i paid 3 to 4 times what he is worth but like i said its the only fish store around for at least 50 miles and every time i see a place that sells them they are sold out.

How many of these guys do you think i could get for the tank its about 25 gal. The mudskipper minds his own business at the top and never hurts anyone. The f8 cant even catch the ghost shrimp that have been in there fir two months he is strictly a prekilled food eating puff unless its snails. The flounder cant hurt anything if it tried just way to small of a mouth. I want a bunch of these guys they are awesome.

I would have paid nine dollars for him, I've been looking for bumblebee gobies forever and haven't been able to find any :(

They're so tiny, I'm thinking you can get quite a few, but I've also heard they like lots of hiding places, like shells and rocks.

How many of these guys do you think i could get for the tank its about 25 gal. The mudskipper minds his own business at the top and never hurts anyone. The f8 cant even catch the ghost shrimp that have been in there fir two months he is strictly a prekilled food eating puff unless its snails. The flounder cant hurt anything if it tried just way to small of a mouth. I want a bunch of these guys they are awesome.

my turgidus is really bad at striking at his targets too. Its fun seeing them hunt :lol:

You got something good going right now with what you have. Its kinda like that one game show "Who Wants to be a Millionaire". Answering more questions has good rewards, but extremely higher risk. Adding more BBG is nice, but its going to get riskier and riskier. Also add more cover at the bottom of your tank when adding more BBG.

im definitely going to get more of these little guys but not at $9 a piece. i do plan on putting in more cave and maybe i can get them to breed in the tank but that just might be wishful thinking.

I didnt want to start a new thread so ill just post them here. I took a few picture of the the fish that inhabit the tank. The mudskipper wasnt thrilled with me cleaning the tank and raised his fins.

edit:
i added a few more pics. i got a good shot of the ghost shrimp. i had two in there for about a 1.5-2 months but either the puffer finally killed one or he died and the puffer ate it. I have 2 nerites and the zebra is the only one that ever goes in the water. i got another picture of the flounder and it shows how much he can change his coloring.

im also starting to think he may actually be a true BBG instead of a golden banded goby

Attachments

• image-1627248796.jpg
    image-1627248796.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 87
  • image-3929818793.jpg
    image-3929818793.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 83
  • image-3851859663.jpg
    image-3851859663.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 82
  • image-3632345345.jpg
    image-3632345345.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 87
  • image-1126171994.jpg
    image-1126171994.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 85
  • image-2393265846.jpg
    image-2393265846.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 85
  • image-4165935767.jpg
    image-4165935767.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 91
  • image-2094721048.jpg
    image-2094721048.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 92
Derekkaine said:
Cool looking bumblebee

He is very active and loves hunting bbs but when i took the picture he was just hanging there in the water it was crazy. He was completely motionless and wasnt touching anything. It looked as if it were a video and someone hit pause

my turgidus is really bad at striking at his targets too. Its fun seeing them hunt :lol:

You got something good going right now with what you have.

Also add more cover at the bottom of your tank when adding more BBG.

i love my brackish tank and people always tell me brackish is boring and you cant mix many brackish fish together but i think ive proved them wrong so thanks you for not criticizing.

As for the cover on the the bottom, i would like as much space as possible for the flounder

Back
Top Bottom