New coffee table aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RFJ22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi folks, im new to keeping fish, and have just been given a coffee table fish tank 80ltrs and i was wondering if anyone had any advise as to what would be best tonstock it with. I thimk id like to start with something easy and go from there. Marine/tropical/pond or whatever youd reccommend. I would really like some advice as the lastbthing i want to do is learn about keeping fish by triall and error!!

Thanks Andrew. Any ideas? I spoke to a trop fish online place and they do a starter pack with some nice fish, and they advised that one or two ofnthem might be a good start, and easy to maintain.

RFJ22 said:
Thanks Andrew. Any ideas? I spoke to a trop fish online place and they do a starter pack with some nice fish, and they advised that one or two ofnthem might be a good start, and easy to maintain.

What's the name of the website and what is in the starter pack? Your tank is only 20 gals, so if it's a lot of fish I wouldn't. Remember you have to cycle the tank before adding large numbers of fish. I wouldn't trust an online dealer as they are probably trying to sell you something you don't need or that you could get if you purchased individually much cheaper.

image-3963222530.jpg

This is the chappie!

As you can see its quite a size, and it comes complete with lights filters pumps and heaters if needed. I think it gives me a lot of options, so whatever you guysthinkwould beappropriate land fun, let me know!

Thanks, im really excited about it. It measures 1m x 1m x 0.5m so theres plenty of room. Hoping it wont go through the floor and land in costa coffee below! Now you have a better idea of what im dealing with, what do you reckon i should do with it?

If m stands for meters 1 meter is almost 40 us inches so by my calculations it would be somewhere between 135-140g that's big. Hmmmm.... You could do almost anything in there. I would do a bunch of tetras or something that you can have a lot of that school together.

Does it have a filter ?

Yes it cmes with lights, heater, pump/filter, and some other bits. Ive just seen the measurements and its actually 590 x 590 x 440 mm, and its about 80 litres according to the bumf i have been sent. Someone has advised me that it might be best to start with freshwater, and have a few koi carp in it for ease of care etc. Any otherbnice fish that would like that sort of environment?

RFJ22 said:
Yes it cmes with lights, heater, pump/filter, and some other bits. Ive just seen the measurements and its actually 590 x 590 x 440 mm, and its about 80 litres according to the bumf i have been sent. Someone has advised me that it might be best to start with freshwater, and have a few koi carp in it for ease of care etc. Any otherbnice fish that would like that sort of environment?

Koi need 1600 gallon ponds

Thanks Bettaowner, two good top tips! the tank was a steal! theres a guy on Ebay who distributes them, and you can get them for about £230 inc delivery! Boatman928. great service too, and they come all in and set up. I've spoken to a couple of people and they all reccommend freshwater to start with and get more adventurous further along. I was thinking some nice bright butterfly koi? maybe about 6 5/6" ones?

Moved to FW General Discussion.

Koi can get pretty darn big, I wouldn't suggest them for this tank. What about a few fancy goldfish?

Don't do koi, they get very large, have a very very heavy bio-load and need to be in a pond. Also don't do goldfish due to their heavy bio-load, which requires alot of filtration. Curious, how do you feed the fish, or service the tank in general?

I would suggest looking at the members tanks area to get a feel for what you may want in a tank that size I would probably do some tetras some shrimp and maybe a couple German blue rand for center piece fish I would also look into live plants and driftwood to make the environment as natural as possible for these guys but before you start stocking you'll need to learn about the nitrogen cycle. Also any fish you encounter you may want check compatibility with any other fish you may want, not all fish get along.

Back
Top Bottom