New Crayfish Tank Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James G

Aquarium Advice Regular
Recently I upgraded one of my other tanks making a 20 long open, I decided to move my crayfish & Tank mates into it, and I'm wondering if this stock list would be okay for it.

x3 or 2 Electric Blue Crayfish
x36 Cherry shrimp
x10 Zebra Danio

So far the crayfish been good with, 5 cherries, 3 platys, and 4 zebra danios, in a 10.

I did not think you could keep more than one crayfish per tank (on account that when they mount, the would be killed by other crayfish).
Can’t believe the crayfish has not eaten the RCS.

IMO too small for more than one. They will likely try to kill each other mainly when molting. Not saying it couldn't be done, but risky. Also they get around 6" and need some room usually for territory. Often you do not see them move around the tank as much with fish / possible predators. At night they like to see what is going on in the tank too, when you do not notice. Some have more aggressive personalities and also depending upon mating time.

They've been good for a few months in the 10 and have molted about 3 times each, they don't bother the cherries, but they try to catch the fish, which have been in there for a month now and have even had babies, the two crays stay on each side of the tank and barely bother each other, the one which I presume is a male sometimes gets aggressive when feeding but then retreats back under his piece of driftwood.

Back
Top Bottom