New crisis.. Yes already....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vicksta

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, new filter installed... Despite mentioning 'When you assemble that honey, pull the black filter out of the old one and cram it in with the new one'....It was in the trash.... No very salvagable...

Frig on a frig stick!!.....

Ammonia .25
NitItes 0
NitAtes 80

*Blows out air

The tank had a 50% pwc the same time the filter was changed after one of the filters dropped a bunch of gunk in the tank.

I had no Ammonia levels and NitrAtes were at 20 this morning.

Am I experiencing a mini cycle?

How soon after doing a water change do I do another?

Feeling like a total fool and I think the fish are giving me the evil eye.

I would say yes you are. You can do back to back 50% water changes when ammonia and nitrites are too high. I would test every day and do a 50% pwc when you detect ammonia or nitrite levels.

I am suprised by how fast my levels have spiked. My water softener is currently running (of course) so as soon as that is done I will do a 50% pwc.

Thinking this fish keeping game is not my forte......

Before doing another water change last night

Ammonia .25
NitrIes 0
NitrAtes 80

Things are looking better this morning.

Ammonia 0 - .25 (Lighter than the .25, but not quite 0)
NitItes 0
NitAtes 40

I managed to dig the wheel from my penguin bio filter and one of the sponges. Wheel was still wet and the sponge was half wet. I have them tied up next to the filter outflow.
Hoping this will help speed things up a little.

Off to do another water change and will retest in a couple of hours.

Just to let everyone know... I really appreciate the advice, you have helped me through a few scrapes with my tank. Even though I have read and re-read older threads and the articles I still feel panicky when my parameters spike or there is something wierd going on with the tank. I guess I know most of the bottom line.... Lots of PWC helps with alot of issues, I guess confirmation from experienced people helps too...

Thumbs up

.25 ammonia is not a critical issue. you just experience a minor ammonia spike. The 80 PPM nitrAtes is a concern though. Any time you have ammonia rise do a pwc and dose the tank with prime.

So you changed filters on your tank, is that right? What size tank and what fish?

Nitrates are pretty high; have you tested your tap water for nitrate? Either that or you're overstocked or/and not cleaning the substrate often enough (uneaten food and waste can buildup and cause spikes).

I'm hoping your cycle didn't restart completely but it's possible. Just keep monitoring levels and see what happens. Do water changes as needed with nitrite or ammonia reach above .25 and try to keep those nitrates <20 (unless your tap water has them?). You can do more than one water change per day if the levels call for it.

I have a 40g tank, I upgraded my 2 HOB filters with a Fluval 306.
My tank currently homes 2 goldfish (approx 4")
5 Tiger bards
3 Tetra (Can not remember their names, lemon perhaphs)
2 BN Plecos

I checked my tap water (we are on a well), the NitrAtes are 0. This is the first time I have measured any Ammonia in my tank. I have had NitrAte spikes before.

I do not think I am overstocked although I am currently trying to rehome the goldfish, they will need bigger pastures than I can offer them in the long run.

After I do another PWC I will post the new readings, make sure everything is running smooth.

That is overstocked, but once the goldfish are out you will be fine, plus goldfish are cold water and don't belong with those other fish anyway :)

Back
Top Bottom