New cycle failing? Please help- no nitrite, trace nitrate, low ph high ammon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarirap

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am in need of some advice for my daughters' new fish tanks please.
We have one 20 gallon community tank and one 5 gallon tank, both containing several aquatic plants as well as aquatic life.
I failed to research before establishing the tanks in time for my daughter's birthday. I followed advice from the pet store, and my memory from the tank I had for my older daughter 15 years ago, and ran our tanks for several days (without cycling) then added fish with weekly 20% water changes. I also added aquarium salt 1 T for 2 doses before discontinuing it. We jumped right in over a couple of weeks adding fish in small groups, but clearly too soon.
In sum, in our 20 gallon tank we now have 4 male guppies and 6 platties (4 adult and 2 new babies), a dwarf otocinclus, two reticulated cory cats and three wild neon tetras, which should be about as many as our tank can handle. The 20 gallon has 2 filters, a bio stone, an air stone with air pump and plants. Tap water pH is 8.4, which was usually the tank's pH as well. Temp is 77F. I will have to get a tank going for male platties in the near future, but first I have a bad situation with this tank.

Our 5 gallon tank houses two african dwarf frogs and a male betta. It actually appears to be cycled with 0-.25 ammonia, neg nitrites, 0-5 nitrates and pH 8.4 per API liquid testing kits. Its only problem is brown algae on the driftwood. It is our 20 gallon tank which has been very difficult and confusing.

We started with a pH kit only. We bought additional fish for both tanks at the two different pet stores. The two from the chain pet store died within 1-2 days. I checked pH which was always quite high (8.4) and it was down to 6.0! Both stores had said a full testing kit would not be necessary, but I began researching and bought tests for high pH, ammonia and nitrate, then later for nitrite. Ammonia was sky high (8ppm).

Since then I have been doing almost daily pwc (sometimes up to 75%) and testing water 2x daily for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and pH. I have also been adding Prime to the water with every water change. I added one bottle of Tetra Safe Start (half dosage for 20 gallon tank) a few weeks ago. On two occassions I tried not changing the water for 48 hours to allow for bacterial growth. but I added Prime diluted in a cup of water directly to the tank to keep ammonia, nitrites, nitrates in less toxic forms.
The ammonia has been very resistent to lowering even with pwc. (was up over 4 ppm for 3 days even with pwc) and now for over a week we cannot get it below 1-2ppm. About 2 weeks ago I did remove 3 aquatic bulbs that never sprouted from the 20 gallon tank and that helped bring us down to 2 from 4ppm ammonia, so that was a contributing factor. We do trim off dead leaves and the other plants in the tank look beautiful and healthy.
During this process we lost one cory cat (the youngest) to what I believe was nitrite toxicity (though that was the last kit I purchased so I do not have nitrite readings for that day) and we literally "lost" a ghost shrimp (I can't find its remains) about three and a half weeks into this process. The other fish are apparently active, with good appetites- even the two new babies in the baby keeper. I know though that the stress could overwhelm them at any time and is not good for their health in general, but we are doing our best.

Sooo the confusing part:
Nitrite in our 20 gallon tank first measured 0, then jumped to 1 for one day and then has been 0 ppm since. Nitrate has gone up to 30-40 ppm for only one day, then dropped to 5 over two days and now is just showing traces (somewhere between 0 and 5). Yesterday I did a pwc and the Ammonia was 1-2, but closer to 1, today it is closer to 2, all last week it seemed closer to 1. Yesterday pH was starting to lower, at 7.8 before pwc and I only changed 20% to not shock the fish. Since our first scare of pH 6.0, the pH has been 8.4 steadily. Now the pH is down to 7.4??? I do not yet have kits to check for GH/KH.
I am confused because ammonia is basic and our nitrite levels are 0. Our 5 gallon is reading as I mentioned, with normal (for us...) pH of 8.4. Its nitrate levels are very close to the 20 gallon now at 0-5ppm. The difference in the two tanks is size and bioload.... perhaps filtration, but the big tank has two 20-30 gallon size filters. Also, because of the frogs I did not add aquarium salt to the smaller tank, whereas I did (briefly) add it to the large one.
We have added seachem flourish (plant fertilizer) both tanks for the first time 5 days ago. I did not see any immediate changes but we are having changes now. I don't know if they relate in any way. I also added algone three days ago, but the pH had already started dropping before adding this product. Algone seems to work by a combo of plant tannins (maybe) and fermentation which releases H202 and controls some forms of algae. It is said to reduce ammonia, nitrites and nitrates as well. I added packets to both of my tanks and the 5 gallon is not showing any pH changes and its ammonia actually reduced from .25-.5 day one to 0-.25 now.

I am worried about the stress of ammonia, the stress of pH changes and also the stress of constant water changes. DId we start to cycle and then overwhelm it with bio load or did we kill the beneficial flora with too many pwc's? DO I just continue pwc's or should I add either more safestart or part of my other tank's filter (I am reluctant because the 5 gallon does have a diatom algae problem).
Could I be stirring up the gravel too much or too little with vacuuming. I was doing 20 percent vacuums with each change, but now it is hard with babykeeper in place.
WHat does the lower than usual pH mean???? Is it possible the tank is still cycling and the bacteria in time will manage to bring ammonia down to 0? Nitrite has not been seen in three days, but it showed up a few days after I saw the higher spike of nitrates. I really need some help to try and figure this all out.

For now I will continue pwc's (maybe 2-3 small ones daily? and practice patience. Water changes were more straightforward before the pH concerns, now I worry that if I change enough water to remove the ammonia, not only will it slow the bacterial growhth, but also put the poor fish into shock from the sudden upward shift of pH.

Thank you kindly in advance for any experience, help or advice you are willing to share.

Last edited:
Eventually, the tank will cycle and ammonia will drop. A couple of things:

Water changes will not slow down your cycle, and it is really important to the health of the fish to keep the ammonia as low as possible during a fish in cycle.

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrates, and pH?

Welcome to AA!!!!! I agree to start by checking your tap for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate. Both of tanks have a long ways to go in the cycling process. The Tetra Safe Start is the reason you briefly saw an increase in nitrites & nitrates in the larger tank. Stick daily testing and water changes to keep your ammonia (and later nitrite) under .25ppm. With your ph this high, any ammonia will be very toxic but Prime will help to negate its effects in between water changes. Water changes will not affect your cycle and will help to keep your fish healthy. With high ammonia levels, I would change atleast 50% at a time- make sure you temperature match & properly condition all new water. Heres alink with some more helpful info- pleaase ask any questions you may have!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Thanks for your help. A couple of questions still

Hi
Thanks you so much for responding quickly My tap water is neg for nitrites, nitrates and ammonia. The immediate pH is 8.4. I have not left it aerating for 48 hours and rechecked pH.
Our 5 gallon tank never had safe start. Nitrites did rise while ammonia was 1. Nitrates then rose significantly and ammonia dropped to trace levels or below .25ppm. It has been below .5 ammonia for a week and I did pwc after 5 days for algae control. I think/hope this one is done but I will regularly check it because adf's miss a lot of frozen bloodworms.

Regarding the 20 gallon tank, I will gladly continue pwc's but I am also worried about drastically changing the pH as it is a whole point less alkaline than normal tap water. I do not want to shock the fish. Can they handle 50 percent change? I do not know how to calculate log changes in pH and I do not know how much of a pH change is too much but have read even small changes can cause shock. Would it be better to do several smaller changes in one day and if so how much to change and how many changes?
Also should I try safe start again and should I vacuum gravel more or less during this process? Thank you very much again for your kind attention and helpful suggestions.

Last edited:
Sorry about the delay! Is the ph in your small staying stable in your taps range? It sounds like this tank is cycled or just about cycled.

In the bigger tank, I would work on smaller water changes (@20%) over the course of a day to gradually increase the ph. Once it's stable in your taps range (doesn't have to be exact but within .4 or so), you can start doing bigger changes to reduce your toxin levels more quickly. Temperature match and condition all new water. Really limit feeding right now until your tank is fully cycled. I would do gravel vacs if it seems needed or once a week. Your welcome to try the safe start again- some people have had success with it while others have not. Please ask if you have questions about anything! :)

I think it's better than I thought Ammonia came down pH leveling

Hi. Thanks for the advice. I think I found the source of the unrelenting ammonia. Our aponogeton bulb had bloomed but got pulled out of gravel when I was netting the baby platties to put in a baby saver. The floating flowers and a couple of stems were decomposing amidst the duckweed and hornwort so I did not really monitor it well as I should have. I went ahead and trimmed all suspect stems and leaves and then did a 25 percent water change and lo and behold the ammonia was down to a color between 0.25 and 0.5ppm. I read about shaking the pH testing chemicals so have been shaking like crazy. Also I was having a hard time reading the earlier results so was recording the higher of two levels on the chart when in doubt. Today ammonia was again just shy of 0.5 so I went ahead and did another 20 percent water change and now it is 0.25. This is the lowest it's been after a water change and I am very hopeful.
Now the pH. When I said the pH of my tap water was 8.4 I was mistakenly assuming that this level would remain constant. The small tank pH reflected the pH from 4-5 days ago. Now our tap water has a pH of 7.8-8.0. (0.4-0.6 points below its level for the last month. Now I did pwc with both tanks and they both have pH of 7.4-7.8. Both tanks still have neg nitrite (hopefully because of starting to cycle) and nitrate in both is 0-5pm. At this rate I may get a day off from water changes by Thanksgiving (one can dream).
By the way, it was after safe start that I had my first nitrate spike (1-2 days later). Since I was a few weeks into the process, I only used one bottle which is the dosage for a 10 gallon tank. I really think that helped a lot.
So now that pH is explained I feel I can be patient and continue my pwc's per results of daily testing. I will also monitor tap water and do smaller more frequent changes if it is varying
Thanks again. It's so nice of you both to have shared your experience with yet another new fish lover bumbling into the process. Happy thanksgiving all!

Back
Top Bottom