new cycle w/out fish vs monitoring water w/fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almcloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking to take my 4 fish (2 chiclids & 2 corys) back until I bring the water to proper Ammonia level.
If that's a good think to do should I do a total water change and start fresh or 75% water change? I could clean gravel and fake plants too. I might have overfed them because I can see some waste food thru the gravel and plants. Pls let me know. Ty

If you take them back, I think you should leave all that waste food in there and not do a water change. The waste will provide the ammonia your tank needs to get the biological function going. If you decide to keep your fish, you have to very frequent PWC's to keep the ammonia levels to a minimal for your fish to survive.

I am currently doing a fish in cycle and its going fine...however,just be prepared to do many pwc's for the next month+ until the biofilter is established

and as Brian stated earlier no need to pwc if you take the fish back

My water got really foggy today.
I am taking them back tomorrow and work on cycling the tank.
Can I use the water clarifier until then?
Is the foggines bothering them at all?

Foggy water might be the bacteria bloom. If you take your fish back then dont do a 100% water change, dont even change any at the mo.

Sorry, too late on the water change :-( ... did 40% wc but water still foggy so I hope there is still bacteria left to lower my ammonia. Fish will be still taken back tomorrow until I cycle my 10 gal tank 100%. Thanks for prompt response.

Yeah I think most of the bacteria will be in your filter. Unless you did the water change and didnt treat the water? As the chlorine etc in the water will kill off both good and bad bacteria.

You seem to have your heart set on taking the fish back. I would do 50% water changes twice a day until the fish are taken back (Just to keep them alive). Once the fish are out of your tank dont change the water. all will be will in a few weeks. Follow the fishless cycle guide as well :). Hope it all goes well ... (Btw I added fish after 3 days of buying the tank courtesy of my local pet stores adive and lost a golden nugget pleco in the process due to lack of water changes) DAMMMMMMM ITTTT lol...

Cloudy water is a GOOD thing when your cycling a new tank. This indicates a bacterial boom, what used to be referree to as 'new tank syndrome'. As has already been stated, if you return the fish, do not change the water.

However, who is to say the conditions at the fish store are anybetter, or that some other novice might not buy those very same fish and do the same thing? I think you could keep the than and do daily water changes.

ashleynicole said:
Cloudy water is a GOOD thing when your cycling a new tank. This indicates a bacterial boom, what used to be referree to as 'new tank syndrome'. As has already been stated, if you return the fish, do not change the water.

However, who is to say the conditions at the fish store are anybetter, or that some other novice might not buy those very same fish and do the same thing? I think you could keep the than and do daily water changes.

Cloudy water could also be an algae bloom in the early stage, when its not green it is less obvious.

Btw the 10 gal tank I've got is one of those kits with filter, heater, thermometer, lights (day/night) and other accessories. What's your guys' take on that? The rep at one of the fish stores tried to talk me out of it saying that its "garbage" and I should get better one by buying individual better items even if it means more investments. Again, does it make a big difference kit vs individual?

Btw the 10 gal tank I've got is one of those kits with filter, heater, thermometer, lights (day/night) and other accessories. What's your guys' take on that? The rep at one of the fish stores tried to talk me out of it saying that its "garbage" and I should get better one by buying individual better items even if it means more investments. Again, does it make a big difference kit vs individual?

The supplies in the kit are sometimes subpar, but for a 10 gallon tank it is most likely adequate. The only thing I would really worry about is the filter. What kind of filter is it? what is the brand name? For now I would just leave everything as it is until you have an established tank. You can always upgrade later. I had a lot of fun with my 12 gallon acrylic tank when it was fully planted, but you are definitely limited on what you can stock. Smaller tanks are at times much more challenging because they can take longer to cycle and tiny fluctuations in water parameters have a bigger impact on the water quality and on the fish.

Yeah I would definitely take the fish back if you didn't already do so. The Rams, especially the German Blue Ram, are VERY sensitive to water parameters. You're lucky that they didn't die right away. Although, the Bolivian is known to be a little more hardy than the GBR. Moreover, 2 dwarf cichlids in a 10g is pushing it. I've had 2 in my 12g for a good while (a male and female GBR)... things only went bad when they decided to start spawning. Long story but I'd only get 1 max and mix in other peaceful dither community fish down the road. But first things first, get the tank cycled and you're golden.

What tank kit did you buy and from where? Was it from a large chain pet store or a small LFS? Is there a link to the pet store's site? I'm just curious... that way we can check out the specs. :)

Oh and one other thing... if you haven't done so already, you should invest in a water test kit. I like the API master test kit. That way you can track your progress in the cycling process.

Filter: Penguin 100 BioWheel w/ carbon filter
Heater: 50w ... no other specifications
I am about to get that API test kit, Ty for the link

Yeah the filter isn't bad. I've heard mostly good things about Biowheels. At least it's rated for up to a 20g tank. I think what's key about a filter is that it's rated for a tank larger than what you have. Can't go wrong with extra filtration. Furthermore, I think it's great that the tank you got is glass instead of the acrylic ones from Marineland (i.e. the eclipse system kits). And that the HOB filter is separate instead of integrated like the ones on the Eclipse. Marineland went in a good direction with this. At least if you ever have to upgrade your filter, you can do so without problem.

I was able to take 2 fish back, but the IDIOT who sold me all wrong fish (black ghost & pangasius shark) won't take back my Blue Ram and the Green Cory :-(
I took ur advise and just bought the API kit. Also got a vacuum because my water has lots of decomposed food (might have overfed :-( I was hoping to be told the right amount of food) ... I also got food that actualy flotes, the one the idiot sold me was sinking and the only happy campers were my Corys.
I will post shortly my new measurements.

Back
Top Bottom