New Decor Input

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
image-2682129321.jpg

This is my current tank (55 gal) and setup. I have been thinking redoing my tank.
I would like to switch to black gravel or black sand. And would like to put some more artificial plants in it. And I would also like to add stacked rocks to add caves. I want to make it more natural looking.

Let me know what you think of my ideas and any suggestion are helpful... Thanks in advance.

I have one piece of small drift would and have thought about adding another piece.
I like the look of the stacked rocks with taller plants and some drift wood.

Good to know thanks!!! any more pointers?

if you are going to rearrange/replace things, try to do it all at once to put less stress on the fish. taking out the gravel is going to stir up some nasty stuff, so you will want your fish in a separate tank/bucket. you might see a mini cycle so be sure to check your ammonia and nitrite and nitrate daily. when you stir up the nasty stuff, you will likely have to do a 100% water change, just run your filter on a bucket of tank water to keep the BB wet and alive.

This is my current tank (55 gal) and setup. I have been thinking redoing my tank.
I would like to switch to black gravel or black sand. And would like to put some more artificial plants in it. And I would also like to add stacked rocks to add caves. I want to make it more natural looking.

Let me know what you think of my ideas and any suggestion are helpful... Thanks in advance.

I would do black sand not gravel. The black paint on gravel wears and chips. I have it because I got some free. I would also recomend some live plants :)

I plan on taking everything out of my tank and cleaning it completely. Thats for the advice about the BB. I will definitely do that

I have been thinking about using black sand. How tough is it to clean????

I plan on taking everything out of my tank and cleaning it completely. Thats for the advice about the BB. I will definitely do that

I have been thinking about using black sand. How tough is it to clean????

Not to bad. Poop blends in lol

I just redid my cavern setup ...
Rocks get pretty expensive

Unfortunately I think I spent a little too much, and might do things differently the next time

I think you could probly get some free river stones or free rocks off Craigslist and then perhaps try going to a tile store and getting some broken tiles or samples lol... They have some gorgeous natural looking rock tiles, some places

New rock cavern setup / battle for territory - YouTube

That's my tank - hope it might give you some ideas :)

Thanks for the advice. I was looking around on the internet today and realizing it could get expensive. But i don't plan on buying to many just enough to make a couple nice caves.

the black sand will be pretty cheap too, its only 20 bucks for 20 lbs at petco for some pretty nice looking sand. i have sand in all of my tanks except for one and it is way easier to clean and looks more natural imo

the black sand will be pretty cheap too, its only 20 bucks for 20 lbs at petco for some pretty nice looking sand. i have sand in all of my tanks except for one and it is way easier to clean and looks more natural imo

Good to know. How do you clean it? I have a gravel vac that i use now, will that work?? And do I need to do anything special with my filters so it doesn't suck up any sand?

I plan to go to petco because i was looking online today and they seem cheaper for the stuff I want to get then petsmart.

Good to know. How do you clean it? I have a gravel vac that i use now, will that work?? And do I need to do anything special with my filters so it doesn't suck up any sand?

I plan to go to petco because i was looking online today and they seem cheaper for the stuff I want to get then petsmart.

Black diamone blasting sand is much cheaper at 5$ for 50 pounds. And usually easier to use because its a bit thicker. Only problem I have with it in my tank is it has some shiny stuff in it.

How many pounds of r gravel or sand would be ideal for my 55 gallon?

And right now I am going back and worth on to get slate rock to put in the tank or just get another nice piece of drift wood. I have one small piece of drift wood now. and was planning on adding another small piece along with some slate rock, but not I'm think I may just add drift wood, to cut back on cost.

Back
Top Bottom