New Decorations...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chabooky386

Aquarium Advice Activist
So yeah since i am doing a african chichlid setup in my tank i wanted to jazz it up. 8) So i bought these 2 log decorations and paid a fair amount for em but they look nice. You be the judge... :lol: Well since i added them in ive noticed a yellow kind of color water around them... Is that usual? Oh yeah i did rinse them and wash them before i dropped them in my tank as well... any idea what it is...?

BEFORE

img_609726_0_e6eecb086914c4f65a29d48e26ad69b9.jpg

AFTER

img_609726_1_1341ed1174daff41da71fa6921f8c2aa.jpg

img_609726_2_40c667bcc78e3844d9aa9a5ea4f3d66a.jpg

img_609726_3_67421316847358f85be64b7be2f8322f.jpg

:roll:

The yellow color is caudes by tannins leaching out of the wood. It's perfectly normal and won't harm the fish in any way. Eventually, it will go away on its own, or you can run carbon in your filter to clear it up faster.

What kind of African cichlids do you plan on getting? The Rift Lake cichlids need hard, alkaline water (pH around 8). The tannins in wood tend to lower pH somewhat, but this shouldn't be a problem if you have a crushed coral substrate and use the correct rift lake buffer salts.

Nice pieces of driftwood, BTW. Are they attached to a slate base?

Nice pieces!
I've been coming up blank on my searches for the right driftwood.
Now I know why..........u got all the good pieces!

Thanks guys... To reply all the messages. Yes it is on a slat base. I am planning to put electric blue chichlids in there. And thanks for all the help QTOFFER. And hey GLITCH there is MANY stores in houston that sell driftwood. About 98% of all the fish stores here are owned by asian people so u can baragain with them. There is one store that has a WALL of drift wood HUGE peices too! might wanna come to HOUSTON TEXAS !!!

Back
Top Bottom