New dwarf puffer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homer8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sorry for the poor quality pics take from my phone. Petco had 3 puffers in one tank. They had what they called a green and yellow puffer (dwarf puffer), a f8 and a GSP all in the same tank. I wanted the f8 but i have 1 in a 22-23 gal tank and i think i would need about 5 more gallons to get another. I set up my 2.5 gallon which i know is small for the dwarf but i have a filter for a 20 gallon and i think i will be able to provide him a long happy life. He is very skiddish right now but i still have to do more work on his tank. I want to add a bunch of banana plants and maybe a little moss. Let me know what you think unless its about getting a larger tank.

image-3802278274.jpg

image-1243546836.jpg

i cant believe how tiny he is. im really regreting that figure 8. whats everones opinion on two fig 8s in a 22-23 gallon tank

I'm no expert but I don't think f8s need 15 gals each. I think you probably could fit another easily in there.

I'm no expert but I don't think f8s need 15 gals each. I think you probably could fit another easily in there.

i have done a lot of research and most say 15 gallons for one and 10 gallons per additional f8.

I've been searching all local aquarium centres near me for some dwarf puffers but haven't found any today :( how much did you pay for it?

I've been searching all local aquarium centres near me for some dwarf puffers but haven't found any today :( how much did you pay for it?

he was $5. i had no idea what kind of puffer he was but he looked terrified in with the f8 and GSP so i bought him.

The 2.5g for a dp is ok since the dimesions are 12 x 6 x 8

Plenty of bottom space. Just be careful about water parameters.

How about some bumblebee goby as a tankmate? Or 1 knight goby? Both will stay in one spot and won't get in the way of the f8 activity levels (just don't put both gobies in the same tank). Another figure 8 is really a tight squeeze and you may end up doing bi-weekly water changes.

The 2.5g for a dp is ok since the dimesions are 12 x 6 x 8

Plenty of bottom space. Just be careful about water parameters.

How about some bumblebee goby as a tankmate? Or 1 knight goby? Both will stay in one spot and won't get in the way of the f8 activity levels (just don't put both gobies in the same tank). Another figure 8 is really a tight squeeze and you may end up doing bi-weekly water changes.

yea i wanted to get a bunch of bumblebee gobies for the tank. how many do you think i could fit. i really want a freshwater flounder but i cant find any. i plan on upgrading my brackish tank to about a 55 gallon and get about 5-6 mudkippers, my f8, and a few other things, but i dont plan on it for a year.

~3 bbg is a good amount. Throw in a bunch of hiding places. If you put in a plant with a wide leaf, then it would make a very attractive hiding place. It beats putting in a bunch of caves where you can't see a bbg. They are already tiny, so why make it harder to see them?

I've always wanted a big community tank with f8 (with molly and bbgs). Sounds really fun, but I always feel like my tank is not big enough or one of the puffs will have problems with some of the other tank mates. Sounds like a lot of work for me (and money too) if something doesn't work out.

really only 3? i tried putting some anubias and they started turning yellow within a week so i may just try to cover the tank in java lace because that has been doing very well in my tank.

f8 needs to have their floor space as well, so ~3 is a good number. Observe 3 in the tank for a period of time. If no problems, then maybe add a 4th. Again, observe again.

id get three if i could. petco is the closest for 70 miles so idk what im going to do. i put an add in the classifieds but no responses. if anyone has BBGs of freshwater soles/flounder let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom