New Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgilityIG

Aquarium Advice Activist
When I first started my tank, I bought an Aquean Quiet Flow 20 and the water never seemed to be very clear. I bought an Aquaclear 50 last night (the tank is 20G) and all I have to say is WOW. I installed it last night and this morning, my water is crystal clear. I still have the AQF 20 running - I should keep both running for about a month, correct?

yeah, it would be a good idea to keep both for 4-6 weeks. I have an ac50 on one of my 10g tanks. they are a great filter imo. I think what i like most about them is their media. It filters just like a canister filter, something most HOB's dont do :)

Exactly what rookie said. I would keep a close eye on your params after removing old filter, just in case.

Thanks - it seems like it is really well made.

Some day I would like to get a larger tank - maybe a 55 gallon - would you put one large filter on that or two smaller filters?

Thanks - it seems like it is really well made.

Some day I would like to get a larger tank - maybe a 55 gallon - would you put one large filter on that or two smaller filters?

I would go with a canister, but if that wasnt a possibility i would do either two ac70 or ac110's. Of course, thats just what 'I' would do ;)

I have never used a canister filter - how do they work (dumb it down!! :n00b:)

Basically they're like a mini sump I guess you can call it. Its got an intake hose that brings the water into the canister from the tank, it filters the water through various stages of media like pre-filter, bio-max(ceramic tubes that keep good bacterias), water polishing pads, sponges etc...then it pushes the water back into the tank via the outlet. That's pretty much it, but I'm sure there's others that can explain some dif parts of it too.

Just imagine your aquaclear media in a bucket. There's an intake hose that will pull the water from the tank down under the media, it pushes it through it, and then back in to the tank. Pretty much how it is

Gotcha - so just a larger version of my Aquaclear HOB in a canister that would sit under (?) my aquarium. I assume the tubes just connect and hang over the back of the tank? Are canister filters any louder than HOB filters? At what size tank would you start using a canister? Is the benefit of the canister that it can move more water?

I just set up a 10g and i'm actually thinking about running one of my canisters on it. The size of the tank doesnt really affect it any until you get real big where a canister or sump would be needed. IMO, canisters are quieter than HOB's, at least the three I have are (fluval and eheim). It really all just depends on what you want.

Back
Top Bottom