new filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gail

Aquarium Advice Activist
My filter died this weeknd, so I had to get a new one, picked up a Whisper
Internal Power Filter for my 29 gallon guppy tank, ended up taking it back, it was bad!!

I went back to the store and got the same one I previously had, Penguin with a bio-wheel. She's a beauty!!

My question is - how long is your tube, (the tube that sucks your water into the filter). I've always used all the tubing they provide, so it's pretty long. Any reason not to use it all? Any advantages to long/short?

gail

Different opinions on this. Longer tubes pull from the bottom and some believe they collect more debris by being closer to the substrate.

My old pengiun actually had the ability to pull from the bottom and mid tank via a "vent" mid-way up the tube.

IMHO, it doesn't matter a whole lot. Debris floats all around the tank anyway.

Some tanks are too shallow to use all the provided tubing. When I ran a Penguin 200 on my 29g, I started with the vent and the full length of tubing. I ran the vent halfway open. It provided great water circulation. It also sucked up sand. I got rid of the vent and the extension tube to raise the intake, but the sand had already killed the filter.

I only use a single extension on my Aquaclears with the exception of the AC30 on the 20H tank. I use both extensions on that filter because the intake is too high for my liking with one.

Both my new and old filters have the midway vent, I usually leave it open all the way. Thanks for your assistance.
gail

Back
Top Bottom