New filter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobby56

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK so I just got a new filter and I'm gonna put it on my new tank but right now I'm running it on my already cycled tank along with its original filter. My question is how long will it take to get bb goin in it before I can transfer to my new build?

Yea I would leave it on the old tank about a month. Then move it and keep an eye on the readings.

Scouser said:
Depends on the tanks stocking really.

I would say 2-3 weeks to to ensure a nice build up of BB, but that is my opinion.

Hope that helps? :)

That's what I was thinking

boadams87 said:
Yea I would leave it on the old tank about a month. Then move it and keep an eye on the readings.

K I just wanted to get a jump on the cycle any way possible

Bobby56 said:
K I just wanted to get a jump on the cycle any way possible

How many media does the old tank filter hold? You could take some of the media from that one and put it in the new one and go ahead and move it!

My old filter is a big whisper ex45 holds two big pads and the new filter is a fluval c3 takes different media

The vast majority of beneficial bacteria are in your tank on the gravel, plants, decorations, glass, etc. You could in all honesty put your new filter in now and remove the old filter.

Bobby56 said:
My old filter is a big whisper ex45 holds two big pads and the new filter is a fluval c3 takes different media

Well take one put of the whisper and put it in the fluval and you're cycled. Then just add one back to the whisper. Don't throw your old filter away unless its falling apart that's where 90% of your bb grow.

boadams87 said:
Well take one put of the whisper and put it in the fluval and you're cycled. Then just add one back to the whisper. Don't throw your old filter away unless its falling apart that's where 90% of your bb grow.

Thanks for the advise

Back
Top Bottom