New filter cartridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I imagine I'm over thinking this one,but with all the talk about filters and bacteria I figured I'd ask.

The tank is two and 1/2 mothes old and fully cycled for the last four weeks.I have never changed the filter.

But now its starting to fall apart so I ask:
Just swap them out?Put them both in for a while (if they fit)?How do you guys do it?

Its a top fin 30 HOB.It uses the little white charcoal filled replacment bags.

Fatz

You should be ok with changing it. I would recommend getting an aqua clear to replace the top fin if you can. Reason being the AC has a sponge as well as a filter cartridge that you don't need to replace, just rinse. Keeping beneficial bacteria in the tank all the time.

I agree with Zagz you should be ok to change the filter cartridge. TopFin also makes a filter insert that has a sponge with it also that is suppose to help hold the beneficial bacteria. When I first started I had a TopFin 60 on my 55gal. I quickly took it back to PetSmart and got a full refund and got a AquaClear for my tank. I would also recommend getign an aqua clear when you can. Good Luck with your setup.

Thanks guys.Just swapped it out.Both wouldn't fit.

There is a little extra room in the filter housing itself though.Perhaps I sould add some media there...Thoughts?

I also have a little air diverted away from my bubble wand (through a gang valve and into the room).Perhaps one of those air fueled sponge filters would help.

Or is there enough bacteria in the substrate to not even worry about a filter change affecting the bacteria population?

The tank is doing great and I don't want to goober it up.

Back
Top Bottom