new filter for 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a.tetreault

Aquarium Advice Freak
im in the process of re doing my 10 gallon and i've switched to sand. i've also decided to get better equipment along with redecorating, my question is, what filter would you recommend for such a small tank? keeping in mind i have sand that i dont want to be stirred around too much. i was thinking an aquaclear 20 but im not sure if that would be too powerfull, i know that my aquaclears on my 75g are pretty strong. also, i have a hood that i got with my tank in a starter kit, that has a cutout for a 10g aqueon filter, would the aquaclear 20 fit in this space?

my stocking will be
1 dwarf blue gourami
6 neons
7 or 8 ghost shrimp

do these fish do well with a strong flow?

Don't let the admins catch u bumping, have patience friend :) as to answer, I always recommend fluval canister filters because I just love them. Like the fluval 105 for your tank.

patience? thats not like me at all! :lol: i havent used a canister filter before, i will have to do a little research, i know that fluvals can be on the more expensive side in my area

You could pick up a tetra pf10 for under $20 I think. The outflow has a little lip so if your water level is high enough, then the water is directed out instead of down like on an aquaclear which may disturb the sand (sorry its kind of hard to explain :p). Not as customizable as aquaclears though.

are you able to take carbon out of those filters? when i looked it up i wasnt sure what kind of media it takes, i saw a few different things, do they have inserts that are just sponges with no carbon?

I have a tetra pf10 on my 5g. It takes tetra medium bio-bags, which is the mechanical media. Buying up to a 3 pack, the bags come premade with carbon in them. (you can take it out, but it sucks). If you buy the economy 8 pack, you assemble yourselves and can leave the carbon out, out put whatever you want in (what I do). The carbon for the 8 pack comes in packets, so you dont have to use them right away Hope that helped!

Ac 30

I have an AquaClear 30 on my 10 gallon with sand. The tank has a betta and four Cories. I don't feel it has too much flow - doesn't bother the betta at all. Keeps the tank very clear. Besides the flow rate is adjustable on the 30 but I have mine set to the highest flow.

yes, an aquaclear 20 would fit in that space.but If you wanted to, you could use a fluval 106 canister filter

Back
Top Bottom