New Filter for an Established Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just got back from the pet store. I planned on getting the AC30 but they wanted $63 for it! They were having a Halloween sale so it s was about $54 but the price was ridiculous! I got some raffle tickets though and I dropped 'em in a box with the same filter as a prize along with a heater, a little betta bowl thing, and some decorations. Gonna wait a week to see if I win. If not I'll get it at petco for like $30. Definitely not paying $60 for a filter!
On the bright side, I go my water tested and I had no ammonia or nitrite and ph about 8 or so. It didn't surprise me but I don't have a test kit so i thought I should get it checked cause they do it for free.

you can get one online for about half that price. I think my aquaclear 50 was around 25 bucks on amazon.

Ya I know. I for sure wasn't paying $50+ for a filter I know I can get for at least half that price.

Just an update.
I got a AC30 today and replaced my old whisper 20 that came with the tank. It hardly flowed out anymore so the new one seems like a raging river. I jam packed all my old media into the new filter so I have the AC sponge, as well as my old sponge AND my folded up cartridge and the biorings in the new filter.
But I do also have a question. How long should I leave the old media in the filter to allow bacteria to grow in the new media? I planned on leaving it in for about a month. Is that long enough?

Just an update.
I got a AC30 today and replaced my old whisper 20 that came with the tank. It hardly flowed out anymore so the new one seems like a raging river. I jam packed all my old media into the new filter so I have the AC sponge, as well as my old sponge AND my folded up cartridge and the biorings in the new filter.
But I do also have a question. How long should I leave the old media in the filter to allow bacteria to grow in the new media? I planned on leaving it in for about a month. Is that long enough?

Your supposed to leave it till the bacteria establish so 1-month sounds about right.

Back
Top Bottom