New Filter: Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyFreddy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right so basically I have got a new filter in my 8gal tank. It is called TetraTec in300 PLUS. I have put in place and all has been fine for the past week or two and although it is a little noisy its done the job. But what I want to know is why it is now only pushing out water intermittently? What I mean is that i while you normally hear a constant noise of the filter working it now is sporadic and the strength of the current is a lot weaker even on the strongest level. Please help me as Im clueless as to how it all works!
Thanks.

Can you hear the motor running when it's not moving the water?

First thing I'd do would be take it out and strip it down as far as you can to make sure the intakes/outlets aren't blocked or that there's any build up of crud stopping the impeller.

Then look at the filter sponge, is this completely saturated with junk and preventing water passing through it?

Yep I can definitely still hear the humming of the motor going and is still sucking things up; its just very sporadic in pushing the water out. The filter sponges look relatively clean on first inspection but I will wash them and clean the innards tomorrow morning to see if it makes a difference (its a bit late for me tonight to be doing with all that ;)) thanks, il let you know the result tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom