New fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newkeeperotis

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I've just put fish into my tank had 3 in there a week levels were okay now got 2 more tetra nd a plec how often should I be testing water nd how often should I be changing water ?? Plz help

Is your tank cycled? If not you need to be doing 50% water changes daily and testing your tank daily with the liquid testing kit.

Plecos have extremely large bioloads so I would test often and pwc as needed. You can test as often as you like too, won't ever hurt anything to test the water and double check your parameters

Also, is it your 8 gallon that you have the plec in? 30l is way to small for any pleco I've ever heard of

Oh yes you should not have a Pleco in such a small tank. I see this is the tank you are talking about from your other thread you started.

You should try and just start one thread only, starting 2 is not going to get a post answered sooner.... :)

It's 30L but its part of that family nd apparently doesn't get as big it's been running bout a month ish does that mean its been cycled

It's 30L but its part of that family nd apparently doesn't get as big it's been running bout a month ish does that mean its been cycled

You need to test your water and come back and tell us what the tests say. And what do you mean it's part of the family and doesn't get big? Never heard of a Pleco that doesn't get big.

Even the smallest of plecos I've ever heard of were still 6inches+ and like I said before even a 6in pleco would destroy your tank, you gotta think of plecos like goldfish I think

Are you planning to upgrade soon? I'm not trying to get down on you or anything, everyone here just tries to give correct information to people who need it. Most LFS workers will sell things that don't belong in there tank because all they care about is making a sale so please do your own research or ask on here before you purchase a fish that you don't have info on. If you can tell us the specific species of fish you do have then we can offer better information and tips more easily.

A picture of the pleco would help a lot but not all plecos are that big, the clown pleco rarely reaches 4 inches and sometimes hill stream loach and other fish that have "sucker mouths"
Are sold as "same/like a pleco" but if it is part of the family as the pleco even the smallest ones have a huge bio load and the majority of them need drift/bog wood as part of their diet and to aid digestion. Like I said a picture would make it much easier for us to help you :)

Doesn't look like a clown pleco to me, looks more like the larger variety that shouldn't be in your tank. Someone else will have to pinpoint the type though

I'm hoping to double my tank up to a 60L at some point soon but want this one sorted first what do u think of the peramiters ???

Your testing for a cycled tank should be

Ammonia 0
Nitrites. 0
Nitrates. No higher the 40

What is your ph?

You need to go through spikes to get the tank cycled but you also need to be doing 50% daily water changes to keep the level down so they are not lethal to your fish.

Back
Top Bottom