New fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlaskGordo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I am interested in getting a cat fish for my tank but unsure on what type to get? Which is the most entertaining and fun, and which kind would go best with my current fish? Here are my tank stats:
29 gal
Live plants/drift wood
Fish: 1 angel fish (small)
1 blue acara (small)
1 snowball pleco (small)
5 neons

image-517091258.jpg

At this point I wouldn't add anything else to your tank. I would re-home the neons or they are likely to be eaten when your acara gets bigger. Considering the adult sizes and bioloads of your current fish, you're stocked, maybe even pushing it a bit.

Not sure how the acara cichlid will interact with the other fish.. May be too aggressive.
If you could rehome it, I definitely think you'd be fine to keep the remaining fish and get a few more. Angels can work with neons if they are raised together from the time the angel is small.
If you'd like to keep the neons, it might be a good idea to increase the number of their school to 8 or 10, then you'd have some more mid-level activity and they would feel more secure:)
You might be able to do a small school of Cory cats but they might be competing for food with the pleco if you feed sinking wafers.

Yeah I always knew I'd need to remove the neons, and will.
For my tank I wanted just a few 'loner' fish and no schools and the fish store guy said I'd be okay with the acara and angel (course he was only a kid). Had my current stock for a month with no issues other than the acara chases the angel every now and then (but no nipping, just chase)
I'll take the advice though, I'll leave the current stock alone for now. Thank you

My initial reaction too was that the acara might become a huge issue very soon, but I took a moment to look at a profile and it seems they are typically pretty peaceful, tho they tend to eat smaller fish. That said, angel's long flowing fins are tempting to most fish so keep a close eye on them and have a back up plan ready in case you notice any issues.

Here's the profile I looked up, just to give you a bit more to go on.

Blue Acara - Aequidens pulcher

Yes that's why I chose that particular cichlid. I had heard that they were generally a peaceful fish. We will see though, as if now the acara, ghost angel and snowball are no larger than an inch. Snowball being the largest of the 3.

Hey guys another question. My buddy gave me a little denisons barb yesterday. You think it'll be okay with the other fish I have (too many fish?)
I know they like being in schools too, but it should be okay right?

The denison barn is a really awesome fish, but please don't keep it unless you plan to accommodate it properly. Keeping a single schooling fish is a bad idea. Fish school for socialize and safety. Without the safety of the school he will be stressed and never behave normally.

I figured that. Would two be okay? Or is this something I just shouldn't attempt at all. And just try to bring to a fish shop?

I wouldn't attempt it at all. Most accept 6 as a reasonable number to be considered a school in home aquaria. If I remember correctly they grow to about 5 inches. Your tank wouldn't be big enough even if you rehomed your angel and acara.

Oh wait! You could get a second tank and join all the rest of us crazies infected with multiple tank syndrome!

Oh trust me, I wanna upgrade bad! I just don't have the funds. I got this tank for free. Hmmm wife would be mad too...

Lol. I know the funding issues all too well. The mad wife thing, well...I am the wife so what I say goes!

True. Hmmm, so you think my tank would be okay, if I just kept the acara, angel, and snowball? I have neons but one of them committed suicide by somehow leaping out of the tank, so I'm down to 4...

I think you'll be fine with the 3 you have. The neons imo aren't a good fit considering the acara who will likely eat them as he grows.

Back
Top Bottom