New fish and the Q.T.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dogartist

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just cleared up my last 2 out of 6 neon tetras in the Q.T ( again the best ideal ever..) anywho I got a few more n.t's and 4 white clouds..
Is it o.k if I add about a gal or so to these new fish in my tank :?: .. I had to take some out to float the bags....and I guess it's ok to still have some fungus med still in works :?: Is that to stupid to ask 8O ( I see it was..lol)
I just don't want to shock them so I'll ask first :oops:

I am slightly confused about adding a gal or so, but it is my opinion that when you are finished quarrantine or finished treating with meds it is a good idea to completely tear down the tank and sterilize everything, staring fresh with the next batch of fish. If the fish are in there, do a water change, put some carbon in the filter to remove as much medication as you can, and go from there.

I hope that answers your question!

Ok then, yes, if you have already put more fish in the tank then you fill it back up and keep the fish quarrantined for at least 4 weeks to see if anything crops up. You will need to do regular water changes.

In a perfect world you would start over with a clean tank, if possible, especially if you were treating for a disease. I would drain the tank, scrub it out thoroughly, allow to dry, sterilize gravel (if you have any, easier to keep a Q-tank without gravel) and replace filter media. If you are keeping this tank running then I would do a massive water change and run carbon in the filter to remove meds, and even run it at a very high temp, 86 degrees F or above for a week or so, to kill any parasite type things that might be present, and all this before putting any more fish in there.

OK, gotcha. You removed water from the QT so that you could float fish bags in it without causing a spill. Now that you added the fish, you want to top off the QT tank to its original volume?

I can't see any reason why not - it may be easier to add dechlor before topping off the tank. I'm confused about the fungus meds tho- is the QT tank being used as a hospital? Are you concerned about diluting the meds by topping off?

I'm using the Q.T for the hospital tank also. Got the fish today from a friend that thought she was doing good..I had nowhere else to put them.. . :lol:
Not to concerned about the meds ( I figure they will need it anyway... their from the same tanks that I got fuzzy fish last time..) :roll:

Thanks all for your help..
I just wasn't sure about all this new water and sudden changes for the newbies.. :wink:
I just added the water slowly and sorta spaced it..Did all the dechlor, p.h. and temp as close to the tanks
My 20 gal fish love when new water is added ......they will get under the stream :D ....

Wait until they are done in quarrantine, since I am assuming this is a cycled tank.

Kudos to you for using a Q-tank! :D

*grins*

Its SO hard tho! I think its real important, but oi, having to wait even longer drives me nuts LOL

Back
Top Bottom