New fish and the water in the bag from the fish shop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anteatergoanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,
I have read a couple of times, that when I get new fish, float the bag in my tank, to adjust the temp, then add small portions of your tank water into the bag. I understand and do that, but they are also saying when I put the fish into my tank make sure u don't tip the water into the tank as well, I don't do that. Why can't I tip fish AND the water into the tank?? Thanks

In my opinion, there shouldn't be a problem with adding the shop water, especially when, as you have correctly done, you have added a quantity of you tank water to the bag. If there is going to be a disease problem, then it will be on the fish themselves.

If the water in the lfs is vastly different in pH, hardness etc., then again, no problem - the water in the bag will be such a tiny amount, it is highly unlikely to cause any effect once added into dilution in the tank.

If buying fish online, I would not add the water, but even then, the only likely problem would be high ammonia in the bag. However, if kt is high enough to cause a problem once diluted in your tank, then it is likely the new fish are will already be doomed!

Must say I've never quite understood it either unless for very small tanks. Pip makes sense to me. Would love to know more on the idea.

Just thinking about it, maybe if there was any free-floating ich but I think if there was, your fish would also be infected.

I don't add the bagged water mainly due to the fish waste and ammonia in that water. I'm always cleaning my tank so why would I want to add more waste? Just my $0.02

It's not about affecting your parameters, it's about diseases. Many water Bourne fish diseases come with our fish from stores typically and that why you NEVER add the store water to your tank. If it's a store that isn't very good with fish like a big box be even more careful.

I'm not sure what diseases could be in the water and not in/on the fish though. At best it seems a dilution - something will always come in (if present) but not adding the water reduces the amount. Maybe as the stores here run separate tanks with no central filter (that I know of).

Fish Store Tank Water

Hello ant...

The water from the fish store isn't going to harm your fish. The chance of there being a pathogen in that water is very remote. If you follow a good tank management routine, your fish will be fine.

B

With all the unforeseen, underlying, unavoidable, sometimes disastrous issues that crop in our closed systems for no good apparent reasons... Why on earth would you risk adding any kind of nasty that would/could and probably is in that bag you brought home from the fish store.. Seeing as a qt introductory period is the best route, anything that is in the fish would be dealt with, hopefully, in the quarantine.. IMO dumping fish store water in you tank is asking for problems.. Just net the fish out of the bag if you're going to skip qt..

I've never dumped fish store water in my tank's, my fish are always netted out of the bags i wouldn't want to take any risk adding any diseases into my tank.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With all the unforeseen, underlying, unavoidable, sometimes disastrous issues that crop in our closed systems for no good apparent reasons... Why on earth would you risk adding any kind of nasty that would/could and probably is in that bag you brought home from the fish store.. Seeing as a qt introductory period is the best route, anything that is in the fish would be dealt with, hopefully, in the quarantinin reallitye.. IMO dumping fish store water in you tank is asking for problems.. Just net the fish out of the bag if you're going to skip qt..

I've never dumped fish store water in my tank's, my fish are always netted out of the bags i wouldn't want to take any risk adding any diseases into my tank.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In reality, how many hobbyists actually quarantine their fish?

There isn't likely to be anything in the water that isn't already on the fish, otherwise the store would have problems.

Well yes disease could be on the fish and in the water, but you are trying to MINIMIZE the amount of disease that could enter your tank by not adding water. Sure it could come in on your fish, but why add a greater chance? It's just so simple to net them (or scoop with your hands!) not a lot of extra work.

Well yes disease could be on the fish and in the water, but you are trying to MINIMIZE the amount of disease that could enter your tank by not adding water. Sure it could come in on your fish, but why add a greater chance? It's just so simple to net them (or scoop with your hands!) not a lot of extra work.

I agree, it's not about keeping the disease out it's about keeping it in lower numbers that are easier to deal with. The higher the number the more likely it is to colonize in your tank. Besides mine is always loaded with poop or the LFS gravel. Just a quick scope and go.
A QT is the way to go, but I'm with Pip on this one. I'd like to see how many people actually use one, especially the newer crowd.

I have a slightly different twist but I've decided buying fish over the hotter months is out. Using the QT is hopeless as the water is nudging 30C or 86F. Now it has cooled down a bit several months later they can go in QT without a problem.

Thanks so much for your responses, i didn't think about the waste, but would of thought if there was disease it would be on the fish anyway. Interesting to see peoples different views. thank you

I have a tank with two predatory fish in it and when I give them feeders I never put the water in the tank, my fish have gotten some nasty infections that way. Since I've started just adding the fish and not the water I've only had one problem. However, the fact of the matter is that there is always disease in your tank, it's when the fish are stressed or not eating, or when there is an increase in the concentration of disease that they are especially vulnerable so, unless you are using feeders or your source is having a disease problem you should be fine.

I had one lfs that the guy used to swear by putting stress coat in and always reckoned it calmed them down. I've always wondered if it was useful or not when bagging fish but I've noticed they don't do it anymore - not sure if that was cost or not needed really or something else.

Woo hoo!. Bigger HOB just arrived for QT. Plus a LED for plants (at least that's what it says) to replace desk lamp over QT.

What's that? I should get a bigger QT for the bigger HOB and a separate plant grow out tank? Where's the measuring tape.... :)

In reality, how many hobbyists actually quarantine their fish?

There isn't likely to be anything in the water that isn't already on the fish, otherwise the store would have problems.

I know more than a handful or two that do, myself included. All my fish purchases come from importers and when they arrive, they're packed with meth blue. You don't want any of that in any tank as it's such a PITA to get out.

The water in the bag isn't good to add to your tank

The fish have traveled in that bag for how ever long it took you to get home with no filtration

Why would you want to add dirty water to your tank

Back
Top Bottom