New fish and very happy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yellowjacket171

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I finally did it. I moved my only male swordtail into a 2 gallon tank all by himself. I know that probably sounds cruel to some but he was real mean to all my fish. I've had him for over a year and he was slowly killing off the other males species in my tank, I was down to 4 corys and of course the male swordtail. I decided to move him after I saw him picking on my male bronze cory. The cory was constantly hiding and was terrified of the swordtail. So I set up a 2 gallon tank on Sat. Sept 25 and moved him into it. At first he was unhappy and going crazy. Today, Sept 27 he has settled down and is doing fine. I then went and purchased fish on Sat. 4 corys, 5 female platys and 2 coolie loaches. My 4 remaining corys were so happy to have new tank mates. And no I didn't quarentine the new fish. I never have had any problems when I purchase fish from this fish shop. Now my 29 gal. tank is so peaceful, full of life and much more enjoyable to watch. I'M SO HAPPY!!!!

You MAY be able to re-introduce the swordtail to the community tank after a few weeks....give the corys and other fish time to claim the tank as their own and the playing field may be more "level". ;)

I've done this successfully a few times....

After a while your swordtail will be lonely which is why I suggested eventually returning him to the big tank...and 2g is not much space for him. After a few weeks by himself, he may be a "new fish". It would be worth a try anyway. If it doesn't work and he's still "mean" you can return him to the 2g.

Back
Top Bottom