Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2004, 12:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New fish and very happy

I finally did it. I moved my only male swordtail into a 2 gallon tank all by himself. I know that probably sounds cruel to some but he was real mean to all my fish. I've had him for over a year and he was slowly killing off the other males species in my tank, I was down to 4 corys and of course the male swordtail. I decided to move him after I saw him picking on my male bronze cory. The cory was constantly hiding and was terrified of the swordtail. So I set up a 2 gallon tank on Sat. Sept 25 and moved him into it. At first he was unhappy and going crazy. Today, Sept 27 he has settled down and is doing fine. I then went and purchased fish on Sat. 4 corys, 5 female platys and 2 coolie loaches. My 4 remaining corys were so happy to have new tank mates. And no I didn't quarentine the new fish. I never have had any problems when I purchase fish from this fish shop. Now my 29 gal. tank is so peaceful, full of life and much more enjoyable to watch. I'M SO HAPPY!!!!

29 gallon 5 female platys named Angel, Goldie, Pumpkin, Speckles and Little Blue. 3 bronze corys named Thor, Rose and Candy. 2 albino corys named Zeus and Apollo. 1 peppered cory named Thunder. 2 spotted corys named Spotty and Dotty.
2.5 gal. tank 1 male swordtail named Stripe
2.5 gal. tank 1 male betta named Charlie
2 gal hex tank 1 male betta named Rex
2 male guinea pigs, Honey, Muffin,(my boys named them), who have lived in the same cage for 2 years now.
A female dog, daschund and chihuahua, named Chi Chi
yellowjacket171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 12:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You MAY be able to re-introduce the swordtail to the community tank after a few weeks....give the corys and other fish time to claim the tank as their own and the playing field may be more "level".

I've done this successfully a few times....

1 Pleco ("Plato")
1 Oto

10g
Ivory Snail ("Speedy")
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 12:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

After a while your swordtail will be lonely which is why I suggested eventually returning him to the big tank...and 2g is not much space for him. After a few weeks by himself, he may be a "new fish". It would be worth a try anyway. If it doesn't work and he's still "mean" you can return him to the 2g.
1 Pleco ("Plato")
1 Oto

10g
Ivory Snail ("Speedy")
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com