new fish died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twinkey

Aquarium Advice Regular
probably a dumb question but here go"s.....why do some fish bought from pet stores or LFS don't survive the first night or couple of days...even if your water parameters are good

PH...7.2
Ammonia ...0 ppm
Nitrite...0 ppm
Nitrates...5.0 ppm

reason I'm asking is I recently got 3 Dalmatian Mollies..5 neon tetras and 1 Cory cat Sunday and one of the mollies died during the night

I acclimated by letting the bag float for about 15 mins..then add aquarium water to the bag for 15 mins..then drain the water into a net them release the fish into the tank

the tank has been established for 3 years....

Some get really stressed and keel over. Others look fine but maybe had an internal issue. It's really hard to say. First month is a crapshoot in general :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've now got into the habit of doing a full water check on the bag of water from the fish shop. Generally I have found nitrates to be horrendous. I believe that transferring fish into a perfect tank can stress the fish even though your tank water is technically ideal. I let my QT nitrate rise to about 40pm before adding fish from the LFS. Leave for a couple of days and then slowly bring down nitrates to about 10pm. The assumption that the fish have been in good water it the LFS may be misleading.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've now got into the habit of doing a full water check on the bag of water from the fish shop. Generally I have found nitrates to be horrendous. I believe that transferring fish into a perfect tank can stress the fish even though your tank water is technically ideal. I let my QT nitrate rise to about 40pm before adding fish from the LFS. Leave for a couple of days and then slowly bring down nitrates to about 10pm. The assumption that the fish have been in good water it the LFS may be misleading.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thumbs up on the great advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Stress and or poor water conditions in the LFS tanks, they were most likely doomed anyway especially from a big chain store.
Some of the big chain stores will give you a refund, I know it sounds crazy though.

wanna thank everyone for the answers...im coming to realize it probably was poor water conditions from the pet store and being stressed....as my water quality is as followers for the last 2 months....

Ph..7.2
Ammonia...0 ppm
nitrites...0 ppm
nitrates...5.0ppm

Back
Top Bottom