New Fish for ten gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orangelover77

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 3 Glofish in a ten gallon and I'm looking for fish to put in it. Any suggestions?

Please don't get any more GloFish. They are schoolers yes, but they are very ACTIVE schoolers and need a 20 gallon long tank minimum. If you don't plan on upgrading to a larger tank then I recommend rehoming them and restocking with fish more suitable to your tank size.

Please don't get any more GloFish. They are schoolers yes, but they are very ACTIVE schoolers and need a 20 gallon long tank minimum. If you don't plan on upgrading to a larger tank then I recommend rehoming them and restocking with fish more suitable to your tank size.

I concur with this. As well, a quick search turned up that Tetra themselves can't even determine how many to put in a tank. See attached link. http://www.glofish.com/about/faq/

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397586926.571133.jpg

Thank you! So any suggestions?

Since you're upgrading to a larger tank, adding a couple more GloFish now to round out the school is fine. I wouldn't add anything else until you're in the new tank though, as the GloFish are very nippy to tankmates when in small quarters. They'll tend to kill off anything else until they have enough space to stretch their fins.

As far as the GloFish company not knowing the correct tank size, I think that's just a statement to legally protect themselves for being liable when people stuff GloFish into their tiny brand tanks... There's pretty good consensus in the literature as to the best tank size for Zebra Danios, White Skirt Tetras, and Tiger Barbs (the fish the GloFish versions are based on). They just don't want people calling them out on the fact that all their tanks are way smaller than the recommended 30" long tank these fish need ;)

Back
Top Bottom