New fish...Hope these live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADCISCO

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok since the neons didnt work out I got 5 flame tetra and 3 glowlite and somehow she got a white cloud in the batch that was should have been flame tetra. I hope and pray that these will last. I just wanted something with a little color. They seem pretty spunky.....but you know I was thinking about when I bought the batch of neons that lived.....the girl put a squirt of stress coat in the bag...they have been healthy so far......wonder if that has anything to do with it.....maybe I should carry a thing of stress coat with me everytime I go to the petstore! :p

They should use stress coat when you buy them but you might want to get some for home if it's a long way (45 min or better) home. That way you can shoot them again before releasing them, while you are floating them.

I have previously used stress coat, but have been advised it might not be a good idea. I think its good for a situation like this, but don't let them heavily use it.

It clogs the water and too much can hinder the fish from breathing correctly. I had one petsmart person put enough of it for about 200 gallons in one back of fish once, and the poor things looked horrible. I got them into their tank as quick as possible.

I've also been advised (By Allivymar I believe) that all Stress Coat does really is irriated the fish enough to cause them to produce their own slime, which they will do naturally anyways. The Aloe Vera is useless.

I don't think the Stresscoat will make or break anything. It has more to do with the health of the fish and whether or not they are carrying some kind of illness, and how they are introduced to your tank at home. Quarrantine is important for this reason. If it is a long drive be sure they put some oxygen in the bag for you.

Otherwise, nothin' as cool as getting new fish! I think your choices are good ones in terms of hardiness, when compared to the neon, so they should do well. I love white clouds, and they are certainly tough.

In addition to tankgirl, gg on the glow lights :) I love them, have 8. I think they act pretty much like neons, but far more hardy. And IMO they're the gold version of neons :)

Edit: lol sorry for that 'gg' ..video game slang for good game or good going :p

Back
Top Bottom