New Fish!!!! Pic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea I kinda thought that of the gravel, but wanted to get the cycle going, and was tired of it looking like crap so I HAD to put some fish in there...

Actually last time I did FW I cycled tank if I remember with whatever fish caught my eye. I think I used tetras one time before as well.

I agree with Devilish turtles - get some gravel in the tank so the beneficial bacteria have more surface area to colonize. Also, keep a close eye on the ammonia levels and be prepared to do small water changes if it hits 0.5 ppm. The fish are in for a rough ride during the cycle, but serpaes are one of the more hardy tetras - at least you didn't get neons to cycle with.

Agreed, you are going to have to watch your ammonia/nitrite levels carefully, do a fair few water changes, and be prepared that you could lose a good half of those serpaes (something like danios would have been a much better choice)....a fishless cycle would have been faster, cheaper, and easier.....really.

In future, please realise that although FW may not be quite as complex as marine, you still need to plan ahead and research livestock long before buying and adding it, or you will have the same grief that you experienced with SW.

They're red minor tetras. I havve them in my 55 gallon. They're classified as community fish, but mine are almost semi-aggressive, they kill everything new I put in the tank. Good luck.

(I bought them as Red Serpae Tetras) Most stores call em Red Minor Tetras though. I believe you have some long finned ones. I've seen both.

The reason I quit SW was not because of the fish, it was because of the horrible algea! I dont know if you ever look into the SW fourm, the inventer of a good chemial to kill it (supposedly) said I had a mutant form that is really tough to get rid of. I said the heck with it and just desided to do FW.

Already have the media.

once your done with cycling your tank...be careful with the fish you are going to add...serpae tetras are famous fin nippers...ive experienced it myself... :wink:

Oh they are?
I dont know of any long finned fish I was wanting to keep, but I was kinda hoping to keep a beta in there...

Back
Top Bottom