New Fish!!!! Pic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

img_471699_0_e1df2f41c86777600a19ac2c50b95f6a.jpg

What are they? What tyes of tetras? Serpae?

What can you tell me about them? A hardy nice fish?

By the way... What can I feed them? Can i feed them saltwater food, such as plankton?

You are just looking for a reason to go off on me now arent you? lol

I have freshwater food, was just wondering if they would eat saltwater food.

What can you tell me about them? A hardy nice fish?

By the way... What can I feed them? Can i feed them saltwater food, such as plankton?

Your comments indicate the level of research you have put into this decision, just like all the other ones you have made.

I'm not sure if feeding them sw food would hurt. I have put some frozen fw food in my salt tank and the fish loved it. Your fish would probably eat the food, but its not something they would normally come across in the wild, so I wouldn't give them a lot.

Umm you should really research the fish your about to buy before you buy them. and I don't think tetras, if its splashine, sepra or neons are hardy. I suggested zebra danios but oh well. Water changes will be your friend for the next month-month and a half. Not that you don't have to with ZDs but, they could probally last a day longer without, if you don't have the time to change the water.

You're planning to set up a densely planted tank, are you not? You will have to do careful research BEFORE buying fish and inverts for such a tank. Be careful with certain tetras - for instance, Buenos Aires tetras are notorious plant eaters that will decimate slow growing plants. I have no experience with serpaes + live plants.

They look like serpaes to me. And JC's tank is planted, I believe, so you should be ok there. However, it would have been better to go the fishless route. How are you going to get your substrate in there, or did I miss something in the pic?

Yea I checked that they were OK, I just didnt know much about their behavior. I mean, the web says one thing but it can be totally differant in real life, you know?
Just thought I would ask to make sure.

As for the substrate, I was just going to add it once I get it. Ive added substrates with fish in the tank before, it doenst hurt the fish at all (And its not like Ill bury it, I add it by cupfulls to avoid that...)

Anyway, thanks for the help. The guy at the LFS said it would be OK to feed plankton, but like you said not as the primary food.

I dont think they are black phantoms, they are more red than in those pics...

Black phantoms are black and grey. Zac said they were red and they look alot like serpaes.

Yes they are orange in color with black marking (you can see the black in the pics, but as far as the orange its like it didnt show up in the picture)

They are serpae tetras. To be honest though, don't expect them to last. I think, without trying to be harsh, that you are underestimated the whole "freshwater is so much easier than saltwater, all I need to do is add fish". You really do need to stop and research. Get a habitat set up, THEN add fish. You NEED that gravel and decorations in your tank to help the tank cycle as well. Things will be a lot less of a hassle. JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom