New fish (pic!) and question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cJw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Greets!

I picked up 5 gold barbs this weekend to fill out my stock list... my tank is now stocked. (And soon enough, my MTS will be full blown :lol: )

Check out this pic:

34229149_d403dd7317.jpg

Those are the gold barbs, on the right - orange in color with black spots and a green strip along the sides; pretty fish!

Once they were in the tank and settled, about 24 hours later, ALL of the fish were partyin'! The angel hasn't really 'said hello' yet, but he's getting close enough to them to let them know this is HIS house... but he hasn't ever chased anything, so I'm curious to see him over the next week or so.

Speaking of the angel;

34229150_b1b043f8a1.jpg

Here's the smokey/marble angel I picked up about couple months ago; he's grown quite a bit!

He also won't let me take his picture, though. :( He'll come right up @ feeding time, no shyness then, but when he sees the camera, he clamps his fins, and swims to the back of the tank and stays there, facing away from me. Even with the lights in the room out, and he can't see me (I assume) he somehow sees just enough to run! I'd love to get a good pic of him as he's gorgeous...

My question is this: it never occured to me that my rummynose tetras were staying low in the water because they're naturally prey of the angelfish! It seems that the gold barbs have calmed the rummys down a bit, as they're ALL swimming around more now... but what if the angel wasn't there?

Ok, I'm going to force myself to stop before I ramble into a three page post, but I wanted opinions on how removing the angel would effect the other fish in the tank.

tia :)

Relax cJw...it's neons, not rummynoses that are considered more prey like to Angels...:)

I cannot access your pics from this location but I will check when I get home.

If I'm wrong about the tetras, please let me know.

I wouldn't worry about it. The rummynose will grow a little larger than neons (natural prey of angels) and I don't think it will be a problem. If it makes you feel any better, there is nothing in my 29 gallon that could possibly prey on my rummynose but they mostly keep to the middle/bottom of the tank anyway. That's just sort of the area they occupy. If they are stressed you will know it immediately, as the red on their faces will quickly fade.

Did you get your gold barbs at Petsmart? They look kind of like the ones I got there a little over a year ago, but I've never figured out what species mine are. Nice tank BTW! :mrgreen:

Nice pictures! My one fish is like that too...he actually hides from the camera. I got a few pics of him when I first got him and he didn't know what a camera was :lol: but now he knows...and he hides!

Those are some really pretty rummynoses. I don't have angels or tetras, but I've heard it's the neon that is the angel's natural food and not the rummynose.

I just supplemeneted the rummy school with two additions, and they're up to six now and seem to be enjoying it a lot! They're much more active and all six are colored up nicely - I'm so glad I got 'em, they're very cool looking fish. :p

The gold barbs came from my favorite lfs, and I'm looking forward to them growing up and coloring out nicely - they're gorgeous full grown, all spotted black and orange and green and gold. :D

Also, I found out that the hood I'm looking for (this one) is quite difficult to track down in person, so it looks like I'll be ordering from AG.com. I'm geeked about getting MORE LIGHT!!! Now teh fish will look much better and I can try my hand at live plants - finally fill out the dead spaces in the tank! :p

I'll get a full tank pic (not that much has changed other than the new adds) up soon. :) In the meantime, here's a link to my flickr 30 gallon long gallery slideshow. (flickr.com rules!)

Back
Top Bottom