NEW Fish Selection Suggestions!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a pair of Bolivians in my 20g high and they are absolutely fine, I feed regular flakes for my tetras and sinking pellets for the corydoras and they will munch on both of them, although I will say that the weekly feeding of frozen bloodworm is what they go absolutely nuts about, but then again, the whole tank goes crazy for bloodworms!

My stocking is pretty high so I do two water changes a week of about 25-30 percent each so the Rams stay happy and healthy.

I have a pair of Bolivians in my 20g high and they are absolutely fine, I feed regular flakes for my tetras and sinking pellets for the corydoras and they will munch on both of them

Have your Bolivians bred (or attempted to breed) in that tank? If so, did they get territorially aggressive with the corys?

Yeah, they have only once, they ended up just eating the eggs, I've read it takes them a couple of times until they actually figure out what they are doing haha, but everywhere says when they breed if they have dithers in the tank they will feel much more comfortable

I know I said no livebearers, but I was thinking about maybe getting this one type of Molly that's black and yellow?? I don't know what they're called (I personally call them BumbleBee Mollies:D) but I will attach a picture of one so you guys know what I mean... I think they're gorgeous, and I've owned one in the past, so I was thinking of bringing home a new one!!:D Some people say mollies need at least 30 gallons, but my last Molly lived in this very same 20gH happily for 5 years.... That's a pretty good lifespan, right??:ermm:
And as I was researching, I also discovered Bristlenose Plecos. Some say they can fit in a 20g and are smaller than the average Pleco.... Sound good to you guys? The current idea:

1- Bumblebee Molly
2- Mickey Mouse Platies
6- Long Black Skirt Tetras
7- Harlequin Rasboras
1- Bristlenose Pleco
(Various Nerite Snails. No more than 3)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 37
Gold dust lyretail molly, is what they call that one. I would not keep tetras with live bearers. The live bearers do best in hard alkaline water, but the tetras prefer softer, more neutral to acid water. The rasboras would be fine though.. there's a Purple variant.. males have orange head, females gold heads, body purple to black. Very handsome, hardy fish and they school as well.

My pH is 7.4..... The Molly that lived there for 5 years lived with a school of tetras all 5 years, one of which is still alive..... I think the tetras and mollies are both hardy enough to compromise and meet at 7.4..? What do you guys think?

Water here is hard and alkaline and many people do keep tetras in it, and Angels too. I did myself when I was in high school, but back then, information was so much harder to come by than it is today.

Today, my personal take on it isn't about how much a fish might be able to adapt.. it's more, why go with fish that prefer something different when there are fish just as pretty that need more similar conditions. but that's just my opinion.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone..... I've just always thought livebearers and tetras could live together?? I guess it was false?

Tetras that are bred and raised in harder water will be tolerant of hard water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't think anyone is offended.. and lots of folks do keep fish together that in the wild would never share the same waters and the fish appear to be fine. But we can't ask the fish what they think about the tank they're in either, and in a lot of cases the life span they have may not be what they could have had. But in a tank, they are unlikely to be preyed upon, whereas in the wild, fish are prey for all kinds of things.

For me, it's simply that as I have grown older, and have learned more, I have concluded that it is better to practice husbandry for pets so that they live a decent life that's as close to what they would have had in in the wild as is practical. One example would be that I used to feed my cat dry kibble. Now I know cats are obligate carnivores, so I feed a raw meat diet. The difference to the cats has been nothing short of amazing. I find the same difference in my fish when I feed a lot of live food instead of all man made food. That's a choice I decided to make.

Because we keep our wet pets in tanks, they can't just up & swim away if the conditions aren't quite what they'd prefer. But in fact, we can't replicate what they had in the wild; not even huge public aquariums can do this, though they can do it better on their scale than most hobbyists could. But I think it's a good thing to at least try.

It has long been said that fish are very adaptable, and I think many of them really must be, because they do survive in waters that are vastly different from what the species came from. But all we know about many species local conditions, in most cases, can often be based on rather small samples.

The folks who study them go fishing, literally. Fish are caught and if they're interesting or new species, whoever is studying them will test the water they came from to find out what the parameters are. They'll observe the type of substrate, plant life, water movement, temperature, etc., and try to classify the fish according to the rules for that sort of thing. Eventually this information will be published. This is what is used to provide the recommendations as to what a given fish prefers. There are more than a few fish in the hobby who only come from one tiny area in one lake or one river, and then are others who are much more widely spread. Sometimes they'll find a species later on in other places, and maybe that will indicate it can thrive in more than one set of conditions. But it's the conditions that exist at the time the fish is caught, not even what might exist during different seasons.

Once a species has been kept captive for awhile with reasonable success, whatever appeared to work with that species also becomes a source of recommendations for how to keep them.

So a lot of fish are pretty adaptable, because if they were not, a great many of us just wouldn't have many choices for fish to keep, unless we were wiling to do a lot of water modification.

I guess my take on it is that just because the fish CAN do it, isn't necessarily the best reason to make them do it. So that's what I have chosen to do, based on what I've learned so far.. and I keep learning more as time goes on. I hope I never stop.

Back
Top Bottom