New fish suggestions please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill2183

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking to add some color to my tank. Aside from the neons and the red platy the other fish in my tank are not very colorful.

Any suggestions on colorful or different colored fish that will play well with my existing fish will be greatly appreciated. 8)

Have you thought about any of the rainbowfish species? Very colorful, active fish that aren't too aggressive for a community tank.

Maybe some of the other tetra family some of them are very nice, or some of the dwarf gouramis variants, or female beta's. Tiger barbs are a nice gold&black but can be a bit nippy. Lot of choices, it is mostly personal preference. Just ID the fish you like and find out if it is a good community candidate.

Of the fish you have.
Do you know what kind of algae eater you have? If it is the Chinese algae eater it gets rather nasty as it gets bigger and it also stops eating algae. You will also see it called the CAE on the forums. The SAE siamese algae eater is much preferred.

The Cory's prefer to live in small shoals of maybe 6 or more.

You might want to try to ID the unknown cat, some species will grow to several feet.

Beurnos Aires Tetras

They've mostly silver, very shiny. Fins are a nice red and black though. They've incredibly active, almost up there with zebra danios, and they're some of the biggest if not the biggest of Tetras.

The petstores will tell you they grow to 2.25 inches. Expect at least 3 inches if they are well fed, maybe even as high as 4 if you have them a long time. Very nice fish, also VERY hardy.

Do make sure you feed them enough. They are very active feeders, and can become slightly aggressive to other fish's fins if not fed enough. If kept happy though, they're very peaceful.

Threadfin rainbows will stay small, and are really pretty. Of course you can always go with guppies for color, too.

Thanks for all your input. Since I am a bit new to this I need all the help I can get.

The algae eater I have is a Plecostomus. He is about 2 - 2.5 inches long. So far he gets along with everyone in the tank. I have never seen him have a problem with the spotted cory who is quite a bit smaller than he is. The 4" red tail and he will chase each other sometimes. But nothing serious.

I would say silver hatchets or marbled hatchets. They don't add color, per se, but they stay on the top and seem to "round out" a tank of middle dwellers and bottom dwellers. I would also increase the population of cories to 4-6, they prefer to school and act most naturally (read "playfully") when they are in groups.

HTH!

NOOOOOOOOO. Not the oscar unless that's all you want in your tank except for the pleco. Your other fish will be a snack. 8O

Although you could put an oscar in a 55 gallon tank, maybe even two (My parent-in-laws have 2 oscars about 10 inches in a 55 gallon, about 4 years old)..

that'll be it :) Anything else will be pushing the tank and will become, as noted already, snackfood anyways. They'll eat anything they can get their mouth around.

What do you gentleman think about cichlids? I am setting up a new tank and considering them. They come in all kinds of colors. Please advise

Depends on your size and which you're talking about. I love cichlids.

If you're talking South American, be aware that the majority are fairly aggressive, will eat smaller fish, and have a tendancy to grow to 10 to 14 inches. There's a few smaller ones though. The Oscar variety are fun though, they have a TON of personality and apparent intelligence.

The African varieties tend to have many many more colors and patterns in my opinion, and are also less aggressive and smaller. They average 4 to 6 inches to my best knowledge. Do not mix them with South American cichlids, cause they'll be harassed and/or eaten.

So, to summarize.. It depends on what you want and how many gallons you have to work with. South American ones are gonna require at least 55 gallons most likely, while you can get away with less for African cichlids depending on the number. I'd suggest a larger algea eater for either, something on the scale of a common pleco so they won't be able to eat it.

As for my own experience.. I have a 90 gallon with 16 different varieties of African cichlids. The tank has been going well for about 2 months now, and before that they had been doing well in a 29 gallon for 4 months (They were smaller then and I only had about 10). They never bother the 9inch pleco that resides with them. My 75 gallon has 3 albino oscars, but they're just babies so I can't really tell you too much on how they've been behaving. My parent-in-laws have two red oscars in a 55 gallon which have reached about 10 inches. They'll watch you walk around the room and beg for food.

I would suggest lots of filtration for either group. Both of my cichlid tanks are heavily over filtered, with two Emperor 400s on the 90 gallons. I don't believe it truly necessary but I had a spare from a friend so, can't hurt :).

Oh, one last thing. They all like bubble wands to swim in, and the africans are the very least like a few places to hide. Mine have two big sunken ship halves that they swim in and out of and hide in. Lots of personality in both tanks, lots of activity. Feeding them frozen bloodworm blocks is hilarious to watch :) They go nuts, wrestle over it until it gets small enough for the biggest to just swallow whole.

Hope that helps :)

Welcome capt. If your in nashville area aquatic critter on nolensville has the biggest variety in tennessee.

Thank you fellas. Scott, I am in Nashville an have never been to Aquatic on Nollensville, need to visit. I just bought 55G, Emperor 400, and considering cichlids (African from Malawi). They seem pretty, interactive, and colorful. I just do not want big ones. 4-5 inches is probably the biggest size I want them to be, so I need to be careful. Since there is no water in the tank, I am on the planning stage. I am concerned with cichlids to move gravel around, and also concerned with UGF. Since there is so much controversy surrounding it, I tend to agree with people and my own experience with the small tank that organic debris does accumulate under the plate no matter what you do. So I decided to take the plunge without one. I still do not know whether I need powerhead for water circulation, that Emperor seems to move lots of water already.
Please advise if I need rocks, caves, etc, and whether there is a problem with gravel movement. Also whether cichlids are high maintenance. thanks

The emperor is a very nice unit I have one. It will be all you need.
Yellow labs are small and some really nice electric blue ones. should be able to to work quit a few pairs in a 55. just give them all a territory. The mouth brooders are good parents.

Also good job on taking the plunge. I personally don't like UGF s. And the power head isn't necessary either. a 400 on a 55 is good flow should create good gas exchange for the whole surface area. If you have a dead spot you can add a little air.

Some people will tell you african cichlids are high maintenance, but I tend to disagree. So here's my opinion based on keeping them for close to 8 months now.

#1) The Emperor 400 will be MORE than enough filtration for what you're talking about.

#2) The african varieties do sometimes dig, but this can be avoided. They have a tendancy to dig under ornaments. You can remove this possibility by having open hollow ornaments they swim in and hide in. They'll prefer this anyways. In addition, they will leave most plants alone.

#3) Kinda continuing the above point. African cichlids come from a kinda rocky environment. Most people are going to tell you they need caves and such to swim in and out of. I agree. I don't have any per say myself, but instead mine have two large sunken ship halves that serve the same function. These are again open bottom and completely hollow so no one can get stuck.

#4) Size... It is my experience that you can expect 4-6 inches out of these fish, depending on the species. My largest is about 5 inches, and he probably isn't a year old. I expect at least one more inch out of him, but he's slowed the past two months in growth.

#5) Tank size and number of fish. For a 55 gallon, I would cap myself at about 8-10 fish. If they all grew to 6 inches, they'd break the 'inch rule' but you have enough filtration to handle them, and I honestly believe they'd have a decent amount of space. You'll also want to consider an algea eater that grows somewhat large, so that they'll leave it alone and not eat it.

#6) I like numerating things. These guys come in a TON of patterns and colors. They're very active swimmers, and very active eaters. They love bubble wands. Some people might dispute the following but I believe them to prefer 78-80 degree water.

#7) Don't worry too much about their initial size at purchase, unless you already have some full grown ones. These guys do have a fairly aggressive pecking order, and they will fight somewhat with newer fish. My smallest is 2 inches max, but despite being picked on is still healthy and doing well. Expect to see them fight every so often and chase each other around.

So summarized. They're cool. I love my cichlid tank. They'll mostly leave your gravel alone unless you provide them something they WANT to get under. Plants should go unhindered as long as they root well. Emperor 400 can handle a 125 tank depending on fish stock, so you're well off.

hth again :)

I have a great looking oscar I'm looking for a good home check my gallery. Lots of personality. Problem is that would be the only fish in that tank. Although hes more entertaining than 10 fish and he can play with a ball, shoots water at you with his mouth when you open the top, attacks his arch nemesis the fake cambomba plant, and hangs out with his best friend "the stick".

Back
Top Bottom