New Fish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

just_doitman

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought a 29 gal aquarium with stand I bought everything set it up let it cycle for 48 hours! I then added 8 guppies that were up for adoption at petco. When can I add what I want? Any good ideas of starter fish? And suggestions on keeping live plants with out a co2 system? I really don't know what all I'm doing but everything seems to being going well so far. I do have one planted plant and it has done nothing but grow without fertilizers! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446606756.358543.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446606770.249607.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you, but fish tanks need longer than 48 hours to cycle. The full cycle process usually takes a month or more when starting with a brand new fish tank. Until it fully cycles you shouldn't add any fish in the tank. You may get lucky and the guppies in the tank may live because they are pretty hardy, but you should not add any other fish until the tank is fully cycles. You will know it is fully cycled when the water has no ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates. Fish stores can usually test the water for you to tell you if it's safe. As far as plants, a few easy plants that shouldn't need CO2 or a lot of light are anubias, java fern, java moss, hornwort, anacharis, and marimo moss balls. Until the tank is fully cycled, I would recommend doing frequent water changes to help the guppies stay alive. Best of luck!

For now buy a Master Test Kit.

Once you know your water parameters it will help with stocking suggestions.

Keep the Ammonia at safe levels. Look up Fish In Cycling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 to the comments above.

I fell victim to the "24/48 hour cycle" its a hoax that stores use to get more money from you.

Cycling takes 4-6 weeks.

You seem pretty dead set on fish so I would look at Fish-In cycling. Fish in cycling involves a lot of testing and most of the time daily water changes.

Fishless cycling, you have no fish so no need for water changes, but there's no fish to look at. It's a no hassle way to cycle the tank but you need to dose ammonia and get to stare at the empty tank. I'm lazy and this is my preferred method instead of the daily water changes.

Caleb

You started the nitrogen cycle once you added the guppies (ammonia source) to the water. A fish-in cycle will take ~ 4-6 weeks if you do not stall it out, stalling would be removing the source of ammonia for any amount of time. You can add what you want to the tank once ammonia consistency reads zero and nitrate is 10+. Again, should be 4-6 weeks. You’ll need a test kit.

Fish: so many to choose from. I highly recommend going down to your local fish stores and just look at all the fish, and see which ones you are interested in. Then check with aqua advisor and ask stocking questions here. Once we know what type of fish you like, it’ll be easier for other to recommend.

Plant: Anubias, amazon swords, java ferns, moss (ball/java), crypts. Look for low light/ easy care plants. Try the for sale section here. You’ll need root tabs, they need to be replaced frequently.

One thing I did forget to mention is that I got all of my gravel from the actual tanks at the pet store so that should help a lot right

Another thing is it possible to house one beta in a community tank?

One thing I did forget to mention is that I got all of my gravel from the actual tanks at the pet store so that should help a lot right

It may help a little, but it's still going to take a while to cycle.

Another thing is it possible to house one beta in a community tank?

This depends on the bettas temperament. But most of the time, no they are not community friendly and can have a "change of heart" at any time.

Caleb

I got a 29gal fish tank I started by setting everything up letting it run for 48 hrs keep in mind the fish store gave me live gravel for the tank! I then put one live plant Amazon sword and 8 guppies that were up for adoption. Everything seems to be going ok . But when can I start to add what I want and how many fish could I add? Maybe some stocking suggestions? And what other plants are lowlight but I would have success growing? Am I even doing anything right?

I would make sure your tank is stable before you add any more fish. Do you have a water test kit?

No but do plan on getting one after I know it's stable what are some cool fish I could put in there?

No but do plan on getting one after I know it's stable what are some cool fish I could put in there?

With 8 guppies already in there you should do a group of bottom dwellers like 5 or 6 corydoras or zebra loaches or kuhli loaches.

The live gravel may help a bit, but i would get some filter media from an established tank, the filter is where the necessary bacteria is to help you tank stay healthy. I would get it ASAP for the sake of your fish.

I don't really want bottom dwellers I was thinking some tetras or something of that sort?

The live gravel may help a bit, but i would get some filter media from an established tank, the filter is where the necessary bacteria is to help you tank stay healthy. I would get it ASAP for the sake of your fish.

They gave me some as well which is in the first slot of my filter they seem to be doing great as a matter of fact some snails appeared today which must have been in the gravel! What would be some good stocking ideas? I just want a very neat variety and color!

I couldn't help but notice that you're a guppy breeder does this guppy look pregnant to you? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446693164.788347.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446693187.047234.jpg

Back
Top Bottom