New freshwater setup, 4 newcomers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xdarkfaith

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ey guys so i just went
To a fish farm and got myself a new tank and
Set it up , i bought 2 red headed goldfish and 2 white fish which we call the kissing fish here, any idea what are their original names? Ima post some pics, also leave comments on my new setup! Thanks!

Attachments

• image-3870477374.jpg
    image-3870477374.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 105
  • image-2469871731.jpg
    image-2469871731.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 97
  • image-1697707492.jpg
    image-1697707492.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 107
Xdarkfaith said:
Ey guys so i just went
To a fish farm and got myself a new tank and
Set it up , i bought 2 red headed goldfish and 2 white fish which we call the kissing fish here, any idea what are their original names? Ima post some pics, also leave comments on my new setup! Thanks!

Well they are called kissing gouramis. I hope your tank is large enough for them, they get large.

Looks cool though!:)

GBoy is right that they are Helostoma temminkii commonly commonly called the kissing gourami here. They reach about 1 foot (30cm) and can get rather territorial.

Xdarkfaith said:
thank you! do you know the name of the red headed goldfish?

It is a redcapped oranda goldfish, or a carassius auratus auratus

Those two kinds of fish have VERY different needs to each other. The gouramis need tropical temperatures 76-78F and the goldfish need 72F. They are NOT suitable for the same tank. The two goldfish need 30g (120L) minimum and the kissing gourami need a HUGE TANK. I suggest you rehome them. What size tank are they in?

i would say a 30 gallon? but the fish farm owner said that they would be alright together, guess ima have to take em back?

Xdarkfaith said:
i would say a 30 gallon? but the fish farm owner said that they would be alright together, guess ima have to take em back?

What are dimensions?
If the tank is in fact a 30g you can keep the goldfish but no other fish. The kissing gouramis need to go back. You got some bad advise unfortunately.
What is your filtration like?

The filtration appears to be a sponge filter
& that tank idk but doesn't look like a 30 catches my eye as a 10G

OBEYtheFISH said:
The filtration appears to be a sponge filter
& that tank idk but doesn't look like a 30 catches my eye as a 10G
Your right!
I just looked at the photos again and it looks like a 5-8 gal!! In that case all the fish need to be rehomed ASAP.

Hi

Nice looking fish,
I would definitely go with mumma.of.2 's advice on this matter.. They need to be separated and put in larger tanks and keep in mind they are from different biotypes and do not generally mix well together..

:)

im sorry about all the bombarding but you have been decieved and its NOT your fault x

the fish get too big, all of them. they are a mix of tropical and coldwater which never works. the gouramis are way too aggressive. the fish probably have not been quarantined, so may have diseases. the diet requirements are very different.
not being mean, but have you even cycled the tank? i read that u just 'set it up and got some fish', so bacteria would not have been established... im so sorry to upset your xmas here hun i just want whats best for the fish xx xx

Back
Top Bottom