New Freshwater Tank - Help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boco

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

I just was given a 55 gallon tank that I need to outfit. The last owner lost the filter and heater in their last move. I am thinking of going to a canster filter but there is something built into the corner of my tank. It contained pre filter media that looks like ceramic hexagon shaped nuts. should I keep this in the tank or remove it? I am also wondering about the best way to clean the tank. Thanks for all your help.

Attachments

• fish tank.jpg
    fish tank.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 79
Looks like an over flow. Just do 1 gallon bleach to 20 gallons water and let it soak. Then drain. Rinse out thorough and let it air out for awhile. While it's soaking go in there with gloves and get to scrubbing. A less caustic approach but requiring more elbow grease is to take a big old jug of vingar and scrubbing away using the vinegar.

I would remove it, If you are going to buy a canister filter like your thinking about and I do highly suggest it, you shouldn't need it. Removing this will probably make the tank look better without it.

Yes remove unless you ever want a sum or are deciding to go to sw aquarium. They are very good in one of those

Welcome to AA!

If there's hole(s) in the bottom of the tank inside that tube, it's an overflow. Google "Melev's Reef" and check out his sump filter page. Sumps are great filters if they're set up right.

Back
Top Bottom