New German Blue Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's awesome! I just have one of them now... Sadly the other died... I think it might have been sick. Mine has gotten most of his color but NO RED!!! I would get lots of them but they cost $15 here... I got a Blue Gourami and its about 5 in. long! should I remove my dwarf gourami?c
Thanks. My German Blue ram IS SO COOL!

We have mollies, 2 kinds of rainbows, tetras, Odessa barbs, golden rams, Bolivian ram, electric blue ram, diamond tetras, rosy barbs, albino bn pleco, ebjd, ghost shrimp, German blues. You should be ok on the guorami. I'm no expert but that's what's in our tank!

The guy at the store which knows LOTS about fish told me that they would tear eachother up but everyone else says its ok.

Gourami's and rams, though some do keep them together, IMO are not a good mix.

I don't think it's advisable. I've seen gourami tanks with different species of gourami mixed but it's not something I would try. My dwarf gourami goes after anything that resembles him in any way.

I keep a pair of GBR and gold rams and I breed them both they are a money tree I even successfully bred some German golden blue rams they are sensitive but mine got accumulated for 2 hrs with the drip technique and I keep the temp at about 84 with lots of plants and caves they do like to hide and I have kept them in a community tank but had to make sure they got food cause they are so shy they will not fight for food

Well an African cichlid shouldn't be in a community tank. I think the only thing you really can do is get it out of there... Those rams are very sensitive. You do not want them stressed right now. It's not uncommon for them to die quickly after purchase so the easier you can make this transition on them, the better.

To sex them, check the black spot on their side for any blue sheen on it. If it's an opaque black then it's a male, if there's any blue sheen on it then it's a female. :)

Rams will do fine in a community as long as there is plenty of room on the bottom and other semi aggressive fish that can handle them. I have a GBR in my community tank with 7 cories and she does just fine.

Sexing them can be hard but the females generally have pink(er) bellies and the males have a more pronounced dorsal fin spike. I'll try and look for some pics or links for you.

I do keep a female betta with my dwarf gourami...but I don't recommend it in general. He's her boss for the most part. Her personality is just right for it. She just stays out his way and allows him his territory. There's a lot of decor and plants in the tank so she has no problem getting out of his sight. I do think as he's getting older he's getting more territorial. That's another thing to consider...just because something works for a couple months doesn't always mean it will still be working 6 months or more down the road. I'm in a position where I have many tanks and can easily seperate fish if the combo doesn't work out. If you aren't in the same position, you should be even more cautious. I would never try to mix gourami with a male betta though. With mixing two species of gourami, I would expect a larger gourami would dominate and stress the dwarf gourami. What kind of behavior are you seeing between them so far? Is the dwarf hiding from the blue?

Rams will do fine in a community as long as there is plenty of room on the bottom and other semi aggressive fish that can handle them. I have a GBR in my community tank with 7 cories and she does just fine.

Sexing them can be hard but the females generally have pink(er) bellies and the males have a more pronounced dorsal fin spike. I'll try and look for some pics or links for you.

I was talking about the African cichlid. Not the GBR. Two different type of cichlids in the conversation.

The best way to sex GBR's is to look for the blue sheen over the black spot. The pink bellies and dorsal fin spikes are another indicator, but these also tend to appear on males from time to time where as the blue sheen does not.

sherlock1315 said:
Cool! You have made a hybrid???

Yeah lol but golds are a hybrid too but it's been done before I am not the first I heard many accounts that's why I tried actually it was easier to mate the GBR with the gold then the two GBR's

They're not together... So no male betta with the HUGE FEMALE BLUE GOURAMI???

Yeah lol but golds are a hybrid too but it's been done before I am not the first I heard many accounts that's why I tried actually it was easier to mate the GBR with the gold then the two GBR's

Thats kinda weird. I used up my money on a chameleon for my brother so i have no money for fish!!! SO i cant breed them till i can earn more money. :banghead:

The problem is the betta tank is not big enough and it was meant to be temporary and then i had to give away my extra 20g

Back
Top Bottom