New german blue rams dying!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's not the experience that most people have with them. I have a friend that breeds a really nice strain locally, and those do very well for me. However, I've tried the fish from wholesalers/petstores and every single one crashes and dies. I'm far from new to the hobby and I've kept many species of dwarf cichlids... and I've had petstore GBR breed and die on me the next day. If you happened to have found a source for rams that don't randomly die, that's cool, but you are the exception. Weak stock is prevalent in this species.

Well not exactly a lie but the are pretty hardy

I'm going to agree with severum on this one. It really really depends on their breeding. The biggest problem with this is that the GBRs as an entire species have been inbred like crazy. I tried keeping them for the longest time and ended up giving up because I couldn't keep them alive for more than a few months at a time even when buying from different sources. GBRs are a very sensitive fish in general.

IMO it is not difficult to find a nice hardy strain, but they are almost never going to be the ones you see at the pet store. There are some Aquabid sellers that sell some really nice rams.

I've only had rams that are only a few generations down from wild caught. So I don't have the weak lineage.

Judging from having rams that are pretty close to wild caught, they aren't as sensitive to ammonia and nitrates as people think.

That's not the experience that most people have with them. I have a friend that breeds a really nice strain locally, and those do very well for me. However, I've tried the fish from wholesalers/petstores and every single one crashes and dies. I'm far from new to the hobby and I've kept many species of dwarf cichlids... and I've had petstore GBR breed and die on me the next day. If you happened to have found a source for rams that don't randomly die, that's cool, but you are the exception. Weak stock is prevalent in this species.
Does your friend ship? I would like to bring some new blood into my colony!!

Back
Top Bottom