New german blue rams dying!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jwspong

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, so I recently set up a 29 gallon tank.. I filled it with water and let it sit for a day, then added gravel, driftwood and a bunch of real plants.

I was going to cycle it with fish in so I got 5 glowlite tetras and as I was purchasing them I saw german rams for a realllly good price.. So I got them as well.. Both of them have been hiding, sitting near the bottom and not really eating.

I know they aren't the hardiest of fish and probably should've waited but I have never seen them for sale for under 15$ and I got them for 6$.

Should I leave them in the tank and just do water changes and monitor the water, or should I move them to my already established 50 gal. Community tank which is filled with barbs, 2 other rams, angels etc.

They cannot be in an uncycled tank. You should move them to your other tank, and wait a few months 3-6 before adding them to the 29g.

They cannot be in an uncycled tank. You should move them to your other tank, and wait a few months 3-6 before adding them to the 29g.

I agree that they absolutely need to be in a fully cycled tank, however I don't think it's really necessary to wait 3 - 6 months to add them.

I know a lot of people what have had bad luck with blue rams

In the established 50 gal. Tank I have two electric blue rams which are doing well... You think they would all get along?

I agree that they absolutely need to be in a fully cycled tank, however I don't think it's really necessary to wait 3 - 6 months to add them.

How long do you think until I can add them back to the new tank?

I think they were cheaper because they're colouring isn't as bright.. Finally snagged a pic of the one who wasn't really moving.. The other one has more colour than this one.

image-3901916215.jpg

What Temperature are you keeping the tank at? What is the PH, and GH?
These 3 things determine how well GBR's do in a tank.

What Temperature are you keeping the tank at? What is the PH, and GH? These 3 things determine how well GBR's do in a tank.

Temp is 80 F
PH is about 7.5
Not sure about the GH

I did the same thing when i was a noob and still cycling my first tank.i was 2 weeks in to cycling and I saw them at the lfs and fell in love! Mine are still in the tank 7 months after and are breeding like mad i guess i was lucky but yes move them into the 50g before its to late!!!!

I think it depends a lot on each fishes lineage. I've had some that were very hardy, and some that were pretty weak. I find that 80 degree temps, a PH of around 6.4, a GH of 4 and a KH of under 7 seems to be the conditions they thrive best in. Frozen food, and some live food helps keep their immune systems in good order. Not saying this is chiseled in stone, its just what works for me.

My F2 females survived 2 ammonia spikes and pretty much drowning in their own poo once (I thought switching from gravel to sand with fish in would be fine.)

Mine have also survived a small mini cycle but I would not keep them in a full on cycling tank IMO.

GBR are one of the most sensitive fishes out there....how you gonna put a fish like that in an uncycled tank ? ...:banghead:

Back
Top Bottom