Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I don't really like the idea of GMing fish, just to make them more attractive. And then they have to copyright them, making it illegal to even breed them. That's absurd IMO, to copyright an animal. The only good thing is that they aren't dyed... I think GMing an animal to make it live longer or something just to help the species is a good idea, but making it more attractive is just dumb. At least their colors don't fade...

maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The GMing of color stems from the huge amount of research done. So you can blame the medical research, but we have learned a lot from such manipulation. Bringing it to the market is a little weird, but if the fish and techniques are already there, makes sense for it to go to market. It's not like it hurts the fish or anything, it's not much different than GMed vegetables

The GM argument is a slippery slope. Just thought I'd add there is a very valuable research perspective where the marketers of the colored fish had their inspiration.

I prefer the look of the danios over these, if i had to choose.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just throwing this out but almost all fish in the aquarium market have been genetically modified at some point. I think we need to worry about stores not keeping fish in proper conditions before gm fish
Old 03-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by calfishguy View Post
Just throwing this out but almost all fish in the aquarium market have been genetically modified at some point. I think we need to worry about stores not keeping fish in proper conditions before gm fish
Actually some aren't. Like SW fish, 90% of them are wild caught. Fish like guppies are not GMed, they are just selectively bred to get their bright colors.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Therefore we have still messed with there genes through breeding therefore they r genetically modified in some way
Old 03-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

And glofish are fw not sw and I think that taking fish from the wild and f them in a glass container isn't the nicest thing I prefer captive bred fish myself.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
And glofish are fw not sw and I think that taking fish from the wild and f them in a glass container isn't the nicest thing I prefer captive bred fish myself.
I never said glofish were SW, lol i was just making a point. You said all aquarium fish, not all FW fish were GMed in some way.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #18
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Therefore we have still messed with there genes through breeding therefore they r genetically modified in some way
Selective breeding and messing with DNA are totally different...
Old 03-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most of them r if they r not wild caught.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #20
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Most of them r if they r not wild caught.
It has nothing to do with being wild caught. Even in the wild there are different strain variants/colorations that happen naturally. Selective breeding for certain traits is the same concept, except it is man, not nature, that is determining which traits he wants the fish to emphasize and pass on to the next generation.

That, compared to gene splicing (i.e. introducing a glowing gene that isn't naturally present in any of these fish species) is a non comparison.

If you want to get on the 'anti wild caught fish' thing, it could be argued that buying/keeping captive bred fish also supports wild caught fish because they have to get the originals f0's from somewhere. But that's another subject for another thread.

Tags
glofish, tetras

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com