New goldfish or shubunkin??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armenkk1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a bunch of garter snakes so I went to petco and bought some feeder fish (common goldfish) to feed them because that's all they eat. When I got home I took a closer look and found a scaleless (I think) goldfish. I went back today and found another! I'm not sure if they are a new type of "morph" or a shubunkin? I got them for 15 cents so no matter what, they are worth more than I bought them for haha. any input is helpful!! thanks.

Attachments

• image-3592104063.jpg
    image-3592104063.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 97
  • image-938253536.jpg
    image-938253536.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 103
What do you mean by 'scaleless'? The 1st fish doesnt look very healthy.The second fish has more of shubunkin's coloring but its also possible these are ammonia burns. Shubunkins generally have longer, flowier fins with distinct shades of 'blue' in their coloring. Feeder goldfish are mass produced and not culled for any abnormalities or non-breed characteristics, so its very likely see oddities in individual fish.

I believe scaleless (in context to goldfish) refers to scales that are translucent to a degree. Certain features such as the pinkness of gills are more apparent.

I believe scaleless (in context to goldfish) refers to scales that are translucent to a degree. Certain features such as the pinkness of gills are more apparent.

Actually, all scales on a goldfish are transparent. Its their underlying dermis that determines their color. I was asking the OP what he or she meant by 'scaleless'- not everyone has the same definition. :)

Oh your right. Must have read "The Rainbow Fish" one too many times LOL.
Back to the thread, once I found a small koi mixed in with some feeders meant for a piranha. It was brownish gold with a few very large scales. Like a mirror carp.

thanks everyone! I actually found 7 all together of this weird look and they all seem to be really healthy. a couple have only a few scales that I can see and then the rest seems to be "scaleless." I touched one and it felt really soft, like babies skin, no matter which way I rubbed it (not really healthy for the fish, oops!). but the normal ones you could feel the scales. anyways, they have the patterns of shubunkins but their fins are short, like you guys said. anymore ideas? thanks!

and sorry, those aren't really good pictures. here's some better ones:

Attachments

• image-2048186973.jpg
    image-2048186973.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 71
  • image-2483439815.jpg
    image-2483439815.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 59
  • image-4114420463.jpg
    image-4114420463.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 65
  • image-1477347860.jpg
    image-1477347860.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 68
i am sure it is a common goldfish with coloration

+1
I agree. Black coloring is not static in goldfish and you will likely see it disappear over the next 4-12mths. In respect to the lack of scales (which is very strange), I wouldnt say its a 'new' type of goldfish but rather just a genetic oddity. They may or may not develop as the fish ages. Guess you will have to wait & see! :)

jlk said:
+1
I agree. Black coloring is not static in goldfish and you will likely see it disappear over the next 4-12mths. In respect to the lack of scales (which is very strange), I wouldnt say its a 'new' type of goldfish but rather just a genetic oddity. They may or may not develop as the fish ages. Guess you will have to wait & see! :)

I guess so :( I sure hope it's something genetic just cause that would be cool! thanks guys for your input

Back
Top Bottom