New goldfish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senorkevin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tomorrow I want to get a small tank for my goldfish and maybe get another one while I'm there. What size tank should I get? Also do I need a filter or will an air stone do?

Tomorrow I want to get a small tank for my goldfish and maybe get another one while I'm there. What size tank should I get? Also do I need a filter or will an air stone do?

Hi, generally goldfish need big tanks. If you have one common goldfish, it will need AT LEAST a 30 gallon and about 10-20 gallons more for each additional goldfish.

Goldfish are messy. YOU NEED A FILTER! Get a filter with a high GPH (gallons per hour). If you get a 30 (I would highly recommend it) you would get a filter with 300 GPH and because goldfish are messy, I would get more!

Bubble stones are not needed but HIGHLY recommended because goldfish require HUGE amounts of oxygen. Just make sure that the surface of the water is always moving and is agitated.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask, or PM me! I have a goldfish, so I can give you a lot of advice! Lol

If you are keeping him in 10 gallon temporarily, he's fine. But in the long run, goldfish get big (common goldfish can get over a foot long) and need big tanks with ALOT of filtration. If you would like to keep goldfish, I would suggest looking on craigslist for a 30+ gallon tank :) if you need any more advice, please feel free to ask :)

Back
Top Bottom