New Goldfish Variety!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr_girlfriend

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I thought I'd just share a picture I found of a new goldfish variety. I'm not sure when they'll be available in the US, but I'm working on it! Its called the Fun Bubbles or Four Bubbles and was created in China. (Guess China wanted to get some of their goldfish props back from Japan :) )

I'm not sure these fish really live a 'fun' life. They're selectively bred for traits that are not perticularly good for them. I can imagine this fish has trouble with their field of view. Would be quite small if you have bubbles around your eyes.
JMO
He does look cool though. :wink:

I'm a fancy gold fanatic.... but I cannot get over the bubble/telescoping eyes. They seem too fragile, seem to have problems with vision and swimming, and just don't look too good. This guy is beautiful (thought I wouldn't own one). It looks like it's engineered, though I'm not familiar with the deformation and/or traits of bubble/telescoping fancies. Looks interesting none-the-less.

I must admit that I, at first, suspected a hoax, so I went to their website ( http://www.chinatz.cn/ ).

Here is a somewhat disturbing quote:

"To people's surprise, when fighting for food, the goldfishes can store the food into the bubbles unconsciously and get the food back into their mouths consciously according to their needs. If there are any other substances inhaled into the bubbles, they can vomit them out in time. "

Not cheap, either...their site quotes for a 'large quantity' purchase, 200 Yuan ($25US) per 5cm (2") fish.

dr_girlfriend said:
I thought I'd just share a picture I found of a new goldfish variety. I'm not sure when they'll be available in the US,

According to their site, November...if you placed and paid for a large quantity order (at, say, 500 fish...about $13,000) by this past February.

I can't view the pic, but if you're talking about the goldfish that have big bubbles under their eyes (like it sounds like you are) They sell those at Wal-Mart really cheap. Same price as regular goldfish, I think. I know wal-mart isn't the greatest place to get fish...hell, it's not even a GOOD place to get fish, but you could get them and qt them for a bit, and make sure they're okay before you add them with others.

The new strain has both the eye bubbles and two bubbles under their "chin" (4 bubbles total). I have NEVER seen any of these here in the US nor have I ever heard of them until now. I think you may be thinking about just the regular bubble eyed variety.

Yes, those are the ones that I was talking about, just the ones with the bubbles under the eyes.

I've been talking with a supplier, theyre trying to get a wholesale order going with the company in china. I'm not sure when it will be though. Hopefully I can get my hands on some.

Its exciting for me because there hasn't been a new variety in a very very long time. (I'm kind of a goldfish nut :) ) It will be interesting to see what the future holds. I'm sure Japan already is working on some "counter attack".

Fancy Goldfish are "made" by extreme selective breeding over usually long periods of time. Breeding individuals with desired traits until it becomes a stable variety with balanced features that can be reproduced. A stable black variety is also in the works by various breeders.

Back
Top Bottom