New gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishlover5297

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have recently acquired a powder blue dwarf gourami an was wondering if anyone could tell me what sex it is? I've read online that it's dorsal fin I pointier in a male and the males are brighter colours but I still can't tell which it is the first two pictures are with the light on and the second two are with it off any insight would be helpful? Thanks ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393861695.784876.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393861647.012325.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393861662.336397.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393861679.661084.jpg

Its definitely a male, nice fish, male dwarf gouramis are one of my fave fish, i took a risk on a pair of males with a female betta and luckily they get on fine and those 3 are the centre piece of my tank now

He's my centrepiece fish that's why I got him and thanks I just love the colours and are you sure it's a male? And how do you tell? Is there an easy way to spot it?

2 things one is his colouration the second is the dorsal fin, first pic is the best one of him by the heater cuz he is perfectly side on in that pic and you can clearly see the classic pointed dorsal fin in that pic which proves he is a male

Ok thanks for your help I appreciate it and what would a female look like?

In a word dull ! In fact i dont know of many aquatic stores that sell females because of their lack of coloration and their dorsal fins are much more rounded and dont have that point towards the tail

So would it be hard to get hold of one? And are they easy to breed or not?

They are easy to breed and they actually make a bubble nest and the eggs are kept safe in there till they are ready to hatch, your LFS should be able to advise you about getting hold of a female

To create a bubble best would they need real plants or fake ones? And I may possibly look into getting one to try breed then not sure yet though

What do gourami's love to eat? So far mine has been eating everything, he's had courgette, flake, cut up prawns and even tried to get the sinking pellets I feed my plecs with but is there any special kind of food I should be feeding him?

Back
Top Bottom