New Guppy Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got two new guppies today and at first they were ok and swam at the bottom but now they are floating at the top. Does anyone know why?

ForumRunner_20131127_162939.jpg

What are your water parameters like? We need some more info to determine. Are they swimming up there or just floating lifeless? Guppies are upper column fish so if they are just swimming that's fairly normal.

The water parameters are fine. The male swims on the top but the female just lays there. I know that she's alive because I can see her fins moving.

We can't really help by being given fine as an answer to your water parameters. I'm not trying to sound mean but if you ask for help you need to give real info to us.

That being said it's either your parameters, acclimation technique, sick fish from the store, or the fish are just not familiar and not moving much yet.

Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate 0. PH 7.3. I let the unopened bag sit on the aquarium water for 15 minutes and then with a net put the fish in the aquarium.

Have you cycled your tank yet? Its always goo d to add a little of your tank water to the bag. There could be big differences in the pH.

After the first 15-20 minutes, you want to pour some of your tank water into the bag and let sit for another 15-20 minutes. Sometimes, another pour into the bag is suggested also. I tend to acclimate them for 50-60 minutes before transferring them into my tank.

I think they're just stressed from the sudden change in water (since they went from their water straight to yours).

After the first 15-20 minutes, you want to pour some of your tank water into the bag and let sit for another 15-20 minutes. Sometimes, another pour into the bag is suggested also. I tend to acclimate them for 50-60 minutes before transferring them into my tank.

I think they're just stressed from the sudden change in water (since they went from their water straight to yours).

I agree here. Sounds like they just need to acclimate more due to the way you added them.

Is your tank very new w/no fish? Just curious as you have no nitrates.

Reactions: HN1
You may want to think about picking up one of these. Its really inexpensive and is better than using the bag method in my opinion.
Proper Handling of Aquarium Fish: New Fish Acclimation Kit
You could also do it the old fashion way like my grandfather. Start the suction with some plain tubing and tie a knot in it. Tighten it so it only allows a few drops a minute though. I let my fish acclimate for 30 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom