New here---boy have things changed since I was a kid!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellinj0206

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Good Afternoon All,

New to the site and just got back into owning a small freshwater tank. We have a 10G tank and started four small glolight tetras and a small cory catfish. Things were going well until the dreaded ICH struck! My family of four tetras and the catfish is down to two tetras and the catfish. We have increased the temperature in the tank (not too high because of the cory), did a 25% water change and I have ordered the Kordon Rid Ich Plus as this seems to be one of the few ICH treatments I have read is tolerable for corys. It should arrive tomorrow afternoon (fingers crossed!!).

I honestly cannot believe how much the world of owning an aquarium has changed since I was a kid (it wasn't THAT long ago!0. We also had 10 or 20 gallon tanks, but never did we introduce beneficial bacteria or stress coat type products or anything of the like and our fish always seemed to be hardy, happy and did well.

Looking forward to reading information on here and hopefully posting a success story about ridding the tank of ICH and seeing our remaining fish rebound and remain healthy!

:)
El

If I'm not mistaking I believe the Cory is a scaleless fish , and most of those ick remedies would be harmful to them . maybe someone else will chime in to confirm this

I have been lurking on other boards and read that doing it at half strength generally is harmless to them. Of course, I understand there is risk involved, but being that Ich seems rampant in the tank I don't want to take any chances. This particular Ich treatment seems to be one of the least harsh ones from everything I have ready. Certainly not perfect and completely harmless, but I have to do something. ?

As you probably know, ich is not hard to get rid of. I think with treatment in a couple of weeks you should be ok.
Things have come a long way, I'm an old timer and never have I used any additives like bacteria in a bottle or even stress coat type stuff etc and my fish last, thrive and breed for years. However, what will never change is good tank house keeping, good filtering, water changes and a good diet without overfeeding, with the simple basics in play, everything falls into place and then just kick back and enjoy a little piece of nature in your home.

Back
Top Bottom