New here looking for advice on guppie fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfliesnroses60

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone I am new here..I bought 3 femal and a male guppy last week and woke up this morning to a tank of babbies... I seperated the little ones from the adults and am now wondering what next...I have done a search on feeding them and am heading to the pet store in a bit....I guess my main question is how long before I can allow them back in with the other adults?? Any advice would be muchly appreciated for the success of my tank....

Brenda:)

Congrats on the babies.... stay tuned for more! lol

Once they are too big to fit in the mouths of the adults, they will be safe. One of the most important things for you will be coming up with someone to take extras off your hands. With 3 females, you'll have plenty of fry and they will eventually overpopulate any tank.

Thank you so much was no too eucated when I purchased them as I only have a 10 allon tank....will most definately be looking into a much larger one which was my intent anyway....jst started with the smaller one as it was given to me....Looking forward to my new hobbie

personally i would just let nature take its course. they will breed every 3 weeks give or take producing more and more babies. you will quickly over stock your tank if you keep letting all the babies live.

Tha t is quickly becomming my thought as well....I am going to try my hand at saving a few as I would like a few more in my tank as well as the satisfaction of breeding them...the rest aas you say let nature take it's course

Thanks again Everyone

I have a couple of platy's that breed in my tank about every 28 days I have a batch of anywhere from 4-10 fry. I tried seperating them with the first batch because I was so afraid my big fish would eat them. They didn't grow and look healthy being seperated in the tank. Eventually I just let them go back into the tank to let nature take its course. I had all of the babies survive my batch. In my tank I have the gravel rocks that are the size of dime's. The babies figured out they can fit between all of them and survive in the little caves of them. I make sure I always crush up some extra flakes in the tank so that they fall to the rocks. After a few minutes you can see the little boogies with eyes popping out of the rocks to eat and then popping back in to hide. After about 2 weeks they are big enough to start coming out and swimming around in the plants, and about 2 weeks after that they try to mingle with the big fishies!

I don't know if this helps at all but I hope it gives you a little bit of an idea as to what you can expect.

By the way, my mom now has a tank full of a ton of platy's and everyone in my neighborhood who has fishtanks have platy's also. I also now bring babies to a local pet store. They take them and some places may even give you store credit.

:smilecolros:

Craigslist is a great place to give away fish if you get too many. the only thing you have to do is make sure the person you're giving them to has somewhat of an idea how to keep fish, and let them live healthy and happy. I agree letting nature take its course is the best way. If you really want to give the little guys a shot, plants are a great place for fry to hide and find food.

Thanks Rookie I think I am going to increase the size of my tank and once established will let nature take it's course...I am having a lot of fun with it....and yes I would make sure that if I guve any away I will screen the person first....

You'd be surprised how many people you know will start asking for some fish once they find out you have babies! The little kids love watching baby fish grow up and get their spots. Good luck and enjoy them. When your fish has another batch, look at the fry and picture a little kid calling them boogies with eyes swimming around the tank! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom