Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New Hobby for son

Hi everyone!

As you can see by my user name, I am a clueless mom!

My 10 year old son has been begging for fish for forever! I finally allowed him to start with glo-fish. I ultimately want to get him to a saltwater tank because I want seahorses.

Yesterday we bought the 1.5 gallon glo-fish set up and 2 glo-fish. We followed the directions and today the tank is cloudy and the filter is making clear water bubbles.

What did I do wrong and what do I do now?

Thanks!

Old 03-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...es-154837.html

The bubbles are harmless as long as they are in fact bubbles,
and welcome to AA!

Old 03-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks!

They look harmless, sort of like if you just blow through a straw into a glass of water.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Welcome to AA! You are doing a good thing to ask questions.

First - take the 1.5 back to the store. Get at least a 10g set up. Glo-fish need far more space than the 1.5.

And read this!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...now/Page1.html

This is a great forum for learning about fish keeping. You and your 10 yr old can learn together just like me and my 9-yr old!
Old 03-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Eventually we will get a bigger tank, I can only afford the small one for now and am using it as his "training tank".
Old 03-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
Look It Up

Ack, I hate those small setups, I wish they'd stop selling them. There's a link in my signature: guide to starting a FW aquarium. The first thing it covers is cycling, which you should read up on and is very important for the well-being of the fish. Does the tank have a filter and heater?

Upgrading soon would be preferable as Glofish are active fish and need a lot of horizontal swim space (20g long preferably); nothing really belongs in a 1.5 gal container (not your fault, just saying).
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I think the small setups are just fine for a child that is just learning. This way he can keep the tank himself and learn how to control it.

It has a filter but no heater.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Welcome to AA!

As mentioned, a 1.5 is unfortunately not suitable for housing glo fish. I would consider taking the whole setup back, fish included, until you can afford the proper setup.

In the mean time, the cloudy water you are experiencing is most likely a bacteria bloom due to the excess ammonia that is in the tank. Do you have a test kit? It is important, especially when cycling a tank with fish, to know what your ammonia levels are. Ammonia is poisonous to your fish, and in such a small new tank with glo fish, it would probably not take more than a few hours for it to build up dangerous levels.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Welcome to the site. I'll agree with the others, but go in to some more detail...

Smaller tanks are MUCH harder to maintain than larger tanks. To add to that, glofish are danios, which are very active fish. They are constantly swimming, and there just isn't any room in such a small tank. To ask this in the nicest way possible... would you buy a dog for your son and keep it in a small kennel all day long? IMHO, a much better lesson would be to show him how to properly house the fish by buying a larger tank and appropriate equipment (filter, heater, test kit, etc). You've been given some good links to get started. I wish you and your son the best.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless_mom View Post
I think the small setups are just fine for a child that is just learning. This way he can keep the tank himself and learn how to control it.

It has a filter but no heater.
To the contrary, the smaller the tank, the harder it is to maintain, especially for a beginner. In small aquariums, changes happen fast, and nothing good happens quickly in an aquarium. The larger the volume of water, the more it takes to change the parameters of that water.

At 1.5 gallons, unfortunately the only life suitable to the tank would be a few small FW shrimp, and some live plants. I wouldn't recommend anything under 5 gallons to house fish, anything under 10 gallons to house glo fish, and would recommend a beginner start with a 20 gal tank to keep the water parameters manageable. So many folks new to the hobby go small, get frustrated, and take down the tank after all the frustration and dead fish.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com