New Idea...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psyhampster

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've kinda lost interest in searching for Dwarf Puffers, and after reading this months TFH, I've got a new Idea for my 5 gal. Killies! They stay small, and a pair would probably do just fine in the 5. Plus, drop in a spawning mop, grab another 5 gal, and I've got a breeding operation going. I guess this is just kinda a "blog" post, but any opinions would be great.

the one thing i do know about killifish is that you cant keep them with anything els not quite shure but it is true as far as i know.
sorry i cant be more of a help. :(

Thats ok. You're right though. killies CAN be kept with other fish, but they really aren't suited for it, and won't look even close to their best. Alone, they're gorgeous when they're fully colored.

I love killies!!! I remember reading an article about them in TFH many many years ago (I think I was like 12, lol) but at that time they were pretty much NEVER found in pet shops and we were not anywhere near any clubs/groups so they just got put on my "someday" list. These days they seem to be popping up more and more in fish stores....not necessarily the really really nice types but still pretty ones.

There are killies and there are killies, so it really depends, but they are lovely fish and a wonderful option for a small tank. Some are annual, living only a year, but if you can get your hands on some they are a fish everyone should keep at least once, I think.

Like Mandi says, they are usually a fish that is traded around privately among hobbyists, like my Endler's, and are not often seen at the LFS.

Have you seen the "lampeye" killies (I think that's what they're called)? My LFS has some in a display tank, and they stay really tiny and their eyes glow bright blue. Really cool looking fish. That might work in your tank. Of course, I don't know anything about killies so there may be some way cooler ones out there. I haven't seen but 1 or 2 species around here ever, so I'm guessing they are not very common. Then again, we only have 1 LFS and 1 chain pet store. :roll:

That is so weird because I have been researching killies lately. My lfs has some in their plants tank, and they are so awesome. I didn't know you cant keep them with other fish though. OH well, I guess that is ONE more tank I need to have :D

I am definitely liking this idea... I'm gonna research them for a while and try to find a good choice. I've registered at the AKA forums, so I'll be able to get good advice, almost as good as what I get here!

severum mama said:
Have you seen the "lampeye" killies (I think that's what they're called)? My LFS has some in a display tank, and they stay really tiny and their eyes glow bright blue. Really cool looking fish. That might work in your tank. Of course, I don't know anything about killies so there may be some way cooler ones out there. I haven't seen but 1 or 2 species around here ever, so I'm guessing they are not very common. Then again, we only have 1 LFS and 1 chain pet store. :roll:

Those hail from the same genus as Japanese medakas; I believe they're Oryzias javanicus.

Back
Top Bottom