new ideas for tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm finally able to move my two fantails to their own tank (with my other three goldfish) so now the mollys, corys, and pleco will have their own 20 gallon long. What else can I add in their tank? I was thinking maybe my male and/or female betta could live in there with the mollys. Any other suggestions?

ya know, I never even thought of the little schooling fish, but maybe that would be cool. I've never owned any tetras or danios, etc so I have no experience whatsoever. I generally have never been interested in fish that dont get bigger than at least 2.5 inches, but I guess some little ones might be interesting to see in there with the mollies.

Cherry barbs, Dwarf gouramis, striata loaches, pristella tetras, long fin white clouds, German Blue Rams, rummynose tetras, more cories, different pleco's, threadfin rainbows...

My personal favorite of the scholing fish are the cardinal tetra because they stick together pretty tightly. I am even thinking of putting a really large school in my 90 gal. :)

thanks for the ideas! I was at my lfs today looking at danios, tetras and barbs. lots of pretty fish. I really liked the zebra danios and neon tetras

Just a note, the cardinal tetras are a little bit bigger than the neons, just as colorful. They seem to be hardier than the Neons. I don't know if your LFS has them or not but I thought I would mention it. After seeing my friends Cardinals it made me mad I got my Neons.

Keep in mind they do better in large schools, I have 4 in my ten gallon right now and they do school with each other. I am planning on adding at least 6 more when I get my 30 long setup.

Good luck, keep us updated :)

Another choice, IMO, could be a school of Serpae Tetras. They school magnificently, not as tight knit as neons, but more like solders in formation.
Sort of like the Queen's Royal Palace Guards (only I don't think they ride horses).

Sidenote: they sometimes can be a little nippy.

Bob R

I didn't see Rasboras mentioned. I have seen Rasboras at the stores, They all seem to hover and and move as one. Very Very cool schoolers. I would have went with them if I didn't choose the Neons (b/c I wanted South American fish only )

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Harlequin Rasbora

p-89920-harlequin.jpg

Took the words right out of my mouth FiveSix.

I have a school of Harlequin Rasboras and also sissortails which are also a kind of Rasbora. They all school together. Very peaceful and love a decent current.

i love the sepaes. i have 2 and theyre always hanging around. when you get the parameters just right and feed them color boosting food, they turn a vibrant red-orange. the long fins look especially beautiful.

i think you should add some :)

Just wanted to agree with everyone on the school of smaller fish, could look very cool! I'd go with Cardinals, Neons or the Harlequin Rasboras personally.

Back
Top Bottom