New Ideas, more questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Will my angels and tetras be ok in THIS situation?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Yes, and infact if you wanted to add 1 more angel or 5 more neons you could.

• Total voters

Chiclid_Mike

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
READ IT

Alright well, i decided that the 20 gallon tank that had the nitrite spike will be destroyed now that i have no use for it 8O And the 2 angels and 10 black neons are now in a 37 gallon. The Black neons have taken to it beautifully, and even though i have NOTHING black in the tank, the neons are shining so bright. The angelfish seem to be doing fine... well one of them anyway. The other is kinda staying right against the gravel, with his anal fin tucked in. So ya, the bottom of his body is actually touching the gravel. It looks ok, but there is obviously something wrong here.

Two more questions: If angelfish are swimming and their colours are dark (zebra angels) does that mean they are stressed or relaxed?

And can PH test kits come out of date? I have this one that keeps stating amazingly high ph, but fish don't seem affected and no matter how much PH down i put in, it stays the same :evil: Any tips? Oh, one more question, about filtration, would it be ok to temporarily use a Fluval 104 canister filter (with peat fiber) with an aquaclear 200 filter for about 2 weeks?

Oops, one more question, how come the peat fiber hasn't affected the water colour? I really like when it turns the tannish colour :(

Angels shpuld come to the top and beg for food whenever you are near the tank. Mine never stop, worse than the dog.

i cant answer your poll because i don't know how many angels and how many neons are in the 37 gallon. Also how big was the other tank? A nitrite spike isn't that big of a deal you can fix that, no problem.
Also, what is the water of your 37 gallon currently testing?
My zebra angel turns colors thourghout the day, its stripes get darker and lighter at different times of the day, not sure if this is indicitive of stress or not, but i would think the pale stripes would mean they are more stressed.

Oh, sorry, the other tank was a 20 gallon so i really have no use for it because i want the tetras and angels together but 2 angels and 10 tetras don't go into a 20.

What do you mean by what is my water currently testing?

And to Rich, ya, my angels swim to the top too, but one is literally scraping his stomach against teh gravel that he's so close. And he has tons of room, he's only 2 inch.

Well, i'm not sure, they've just been transferred today into their new tank, and i tried bloodworms but only the tetras reacted, the Angels didn't even care.

And can PH test kits come out of date? I have this one that keeps stating amazingly high ph, but fish don't seem affected and no matter how much PH down i put in, it stays the same Any tips?

Stop using the pH down. It doesn't help. This may be causing your fish to act odd or it may even kill them. pH down will lower your pH temporarily, but it will jump back up to the normal level. It's a worthless product. Toss it. A stable pH is better than a perfect pH. So even if you have a pH level of 7.6, you're fine. As long as you're not in the upper 8's, you're fine. This comes up alot because stores push this on people, telling them that they must have a perfect pH. But all it does is kill your fish, then you go back and buy more fish and more pH down. I'd do a water change, stop using the pH altering chemical and just use dechlorinator in the tank. Nasty Nasty product. I wish stores would stop selling it. It's kind of like Cycle. Waste of money. Your pH is going to be partially determined by your water hardness. If you have really hard water, you're going to have a higher pH. The hardness is good because it creates a buffer that will keep your pH from swinging. This is probably stressing your Angel, therefore making him/her show the darkness. Once your pH stabalizes, they should act like normal and show true colors.

Oh, one more question, about filtration, would it be ok to temporarily use a Fluval 104 canister filter (with peat fiber) with an aquaclear 200 filter for about 2 weeks?

This is fine as long as one of the filters is seeded. Basically as long as you use the filter you are using now, any additional filtration is fine. Just make sure you aren't creating too much current. Angels don't like to be pushed around the tank by water current.

What is your water currently testing means
whats the pH
whats the ammonia
whats the Nitrite
whats the nitrate

Angels scraping their bellys defintly sounds like they are more than just stressed. It sounds like they may have ich, even though you may not be able to see it yet, try riasing your temperature to 86 (like only 1 degree every 2 hours) and leaving it that way... If it is ICH the temp will make it get worse before it gets better, you may see salt sprinklings all over them.

If they go tstressd from teh mood, it can cause the ich outbreak if it was present in your tank, and if youve never treated for ich before, then it was probably present.

oh, and about hte size of the tank 2 angels and 10 black neons in the 37 gallon. I think that is fine... 2 angels are a max of 12 inches full grown.
10 black neons will be about 20" at the most, thats 32 inches of fish in a 37 gallon, very good. I would even say you could get a small pleco and maybe a very small school of corys (3-4) although it would be slightly overstocked, youw ould have a good cleaning crew.

Back
Top Bottom