New Kids 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_Blueberry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I mentioned my daughter wanting to get a tank of her own in a few other posts the past couple weeks. She got it all set up Saturday and, for now, is really into it. She got a crowntail betta, some neons, and I gave her a few ghost shrimp.

The question I have is with the betta. The lights are set to turn on right about the time she wakes up, turns off a few hours later, then back on about the time she gets home until bedtime. No plants, and she went with the 50/50's do the neons would 'glow' a little more. Anyway, I noticed when the lights in the room are off, the betta sees it's reflection and is pretty much constantly going after it with puffed gills and what little charge he can get from the 1/8" distance from the glass it swims at. If I turn the room lights on, the reflection disappears and he calms down. Is this something I need to be concerned about or will it pass without problems?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390227680.712048.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390227680.712048.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 72
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390227692.445568.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390227692.445568.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 71
I don't thin you should worry about it. He's just not used to it, he'll warm up. You could try putting a background on the back of the tank so that takes away one of the reflections

As you don't have any plants, light is not required. You can open it has you want. Betta tends to fight with everything that is reflective...

Before we had a stainless toaster near the aquarium and the betta was always doing as yours, so we had to move the toaster...

A background will not prevent a reflection, because it is caused by the light inside the tank reflecting off the glass.
I would say try keeping the light off as much as possible or just keeping the room brighter.

So I hear not to worry about it, and ways to eliminate it... Since no one is saying that yes it is a big problem that needs to be addressed, it doesn't sound like I need to worry...

Yea I don't think it's too much of an issue, as long as your fish is not so obsessed it won't eat or something. In my experience, fish do this when they are newer to the tank, but as they become accustomed to their home they realize that things going on outside of the tank (humans=food) are more interesting than reflections and they calm down a bit.

Back
Top Bottom