New kuhli loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canary bird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all , I recently bought 4 kuhli loaches and one of them is nuts ! It is constantly swimming on the front glass of the tank in figure of 8 patterns , occasionally another one will join in while the other 2 stay inside the boat, is this normal ? Should I get more ? I have 4 in my other 200 litre and rarely see them !
They are temporary in an 80litre with 4 mollies I bn Pleco (4 months old) and 4 corydoras .(They will be moved to a 200litre in the next month)

He seems to have settled down after I changed the boat for a huge piece of driftwood , so I'm going to get some more today ,,

They are all crazy and love to swim those figure 8 laps. Mine like to do it at either end of the tank. I started to see a lot of my Kuhli loach when i upped their number to 6. When i moved them to a tank of their own with big hiding spots that took up about 1/3 of the floor space they got very active. I have 13 now in a moderately-heavily planted tank. I only feed when the lights will be on for a few hours and they come out to play when i switch off the filter as well. They are naturally nocturnal so feeding them in the daytime will mean they adjust their sleeping habits a bit and stay visible when you are awake to see them. All the advice i have read on them is that they do better if 6 or more are in a group and my experience confirms that for me. I would try and combine the 4 you have in the other tank as soon as you can and maybe they will get confident enough to come out more. If you put them in a kuhli only tank i think it might help too, but i don't know if that is possible for you. A tip for catching them is to have 1 hollow ornament that they will be tempted to hide in. Just lift the ornament and tip it into a net when you want to catch them. Hopefully you get the bulk of them in one try.

I called into my pet shop and they only had 2 left so i bought them. So i now have 6 in one tank and 4 in the other... As its the Easter holidays here as of today i will try get some next week.. But my aim is to have them all in my 55g. Its so hard getting anything Here (tenerife ) so im trying to get a good stock of what i like for when my 110g is built and then i can decide who is best suited for which tank.
Thanks for the reply
. Im glad its normal its at it again .. :)

Pics
Hi I have clown loaches and love them to bits. I haven't heard of the loaches u have, can u post a pic so I can check them out? Do u know if they get on okay with clowns? Thanks Anita

It is common for kuhli loaches to swim about all crazy like. I notice mine will do it a lot before a storm. They love to play, especially if there are a lot of them, then their confidence grows and their shyness is very little. The more, the merrier! :)

I intend to double up numbers as and when they have them in the pet shop .. I love bottom dwellers

I have one who's nutty, but I also read online about increased activity before a storm.. Cool kuhli ;)

Back
Top Bottom