New light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhsoto94

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just purchased a new light fixture with two 22" 10k t5 HO bulbs and was wondering what plants would do well under this. I know additional care is needed root tabs, fertilizer, etc for some plants but was open to new plants. Already have different anubias and anacharis'.

10,000 K ? Those are marine lights.. you're going to get a load of algae with those I'd think. Certainly that's more than enough light for even the most demanding of plants, provided you also supplement CO2 and fertilize regularly.

The problem you'll have is that plant growth is driven by light levels. The higher the levels the faster plants try to grow, and most of them can't cope unless they have the added C02, for one, and the right ferts, for another. Root tabs are for bottom feeders like crypts and swords.. most of the stem plants take their nutrients from the water column.

You would have less trouble if you can get tubes that are around 65 - 6700 K.. which will grow most plants, but are not going to push them quite so hard.

I co2 and fertilize accordingly. Do you think one bulb would be better? Honestly I only got those bulbs because they were the last ones and on sale dirt cheap and I needed to upgrade.

I would think they are bit more than you would need. I know a few planted tank keepers who use ONE 10,000 K bulb, among others that are around 6500 K. But they usually are keeping the most demanding and difficult plants, which need this intense lighting. Also using C02 and a lot of fertilizers.

Do you know what kind of plants you want to keep yet ? If you were wanting a high tech tank with demanding plants, you might be ok with these. If you wanted something less work and effort, these lights are too strong. You may well be able to sell the tubes to another hobbyist and get some that are better suited.

We'll I was planning on moving up from low lighting plants so I was thinking of swords and kinda asking any suggestions. I was just using the bulbs that came with my tank and wanted to upgrade that's why I got these because I didn't have enough light now I have to much

Sometimes it seems like you can't catch a break, doesn't it ? Swords are not high light by any means.. but the more light they get, the faster they grow. They can outgrow a tank easily given the chance, if you have one of the bigger species.

Low to medium light plants will do very well with 6500 or 6700 K tubes over them and so will a number of the more demanding plants. If you want to grow carpeting plants, or some of the really red ones, then you might need those 10,000 Ks, as the low growing carpet types are much more demanding, and being so far from the light, less of it gets to them.

Edit.. in any case, good luck with it. I'm off for now.. have to get up early.

Hmm looks like I'll just have to return them and find somewhere with lower power lights. Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom